• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ideal temperatures and humidity

This is my first time ever growing peppers. Actually this is my first time growing anything. I bought a mini greenhouse where I have jalapeños, habaneros, ghost peppers, and scorpion peppers. I put the seed in the soil 2 weeks ago and they have sprouted already. I know that I might have planted the seeds a bit late but I live in Arizona where the temperate stays at 90+ degrees even after summer. I was wondering what the ideal temperature and humidity is for these plants. Currently inside the greenhouse it is 85 degrees and 68% humidity.

where they are now is great, however, when the hot months come, be prepared for no fruit/flower production until the fall cool down...if you get them in early enough, you will get an "early" flush of peppers....or at least that has been my experience with the exotics...the orange habs and jalapenos should keep on producing (although at a slower rate) right thru the hot summer months..

where they are now is great, however, when the hot months come, be prepared for no fruit/flower production until the fall cool down...if you get them in early enough, you will get an "early" flush of peppers....or at least that has been my experience with the exotics...the orange habs and jalapenos should keep on producing (although at a slower rate) right thru the hot summer months..

What would be a "dangerous" temperature and humidity level to stay away from. I'm afraid of when the summer comes. Last year it got to 120 degrees.

Dangerous temps?

When it starts to get over 100 degrees it's hard to keep the flowers on the plants. There isn't a real "ideal" temp and humidity for peppers. More like a range. Below 50 and above 100 temps wise isn't conducive to growing and humidity really only effects how often you'll have to water. Obviously it's dry in the desert and that combined with the heat you'll have to water more often. Do your plants and yourself a favor and mulch the hell out of them That should help with retaining moisture.

Dangerous temps?

When it starts to get over 100 degrees it's hard to keep the flowers on the plants. There isn't a real "ideal" temp and humidity for peppers. More like a range. Below 50 and above 100 temps wise isn't conducive to growing and humidity really only effects how often you'll have to water. Obviously it's dry in the desert and that combined with the heat you'll have to water more often. Do your plants and yourself a favor and mulch the hell out of them That should help with retaining moisture.
Thank you

unless you have a temperature controlled environment...read expensive greenhouse with thousands of dollars worth of cooling equipment..just be patient

if you only have one plant or so...you could bring them inside during the extreme hot months but then again you will have other issues with growing such as light and aphids/spidermites...

I have thought about buying a Light Pipe (or whatever it's called) that could bring the sun directly into my formal living/dining room (read new grow area if needed)

keep your plants alive and growing and you will/should have a bountiful late harvest...here in North Texas, my best harvests come late October/late November...and last year, first freeze caught me before my pods were ripe....

Growing exotic varieties is a gamble with mother nature unless you live in Trinidad where the temperatures are almost constant and the humidity is high...living in south Florida/Texas or southern California where the temperatures are moderated by the Gulf/Ocean waters is about the best place to grow them IMO...even the native land of the Bhut Jolokia has a monsoon season...

Glad to see you back AJ, and you are correct about South Florida we dropped down into the low 30s a few times this year but I didn't lose a plant, just a little leaf damage.

AlabamaJack said:
unless you have a temperature controlled environment...read expensive greenhouse with thousands of dollars worth of cooling equipment..just be patient

if you only have one plant or so...you could bring them inside during the extreme hot months but then again you will have other issues with growing such as light and aphids/spidermites...

I have thought about buying a Light Pipe (or whatever it's called) that could bring the sun directly into my formal living/dining room (read new grow area if needed)

keep your plants alive and growing and you will/should have a bountiful late harvest...here in North Texas, my best harvests come late October/late November...and last year, first freeze caught me before my pods were ripe....

Growing exotic varieties is a gamble with mother nature unless you live in Trinidad where the temperatures are almost constant and the humidity is high...living in south Florida/Texas or southern California where the temperatures are moderated by the Gulf/Ocean waters is about the best place to grow them IMO...even the native land of the Bhut Jolokia has a monsoon season...

A humidifier, Fan, Shade Cloth, $50-600 dollar Greenhouse and cheap digital timer $14-60 does not = thousands of dollars.

I don't think thousands of dollars is quite accurate, but I think a Greenhouse in Arizona may need some more specialized cooling than a fan and shade cloth during peak summer heat.

I hereby volunteer to set things up for half of thousands of dollars.

Plus air fare.
Plus amenities.
Plus a $500 per day entertainment budget.  In singles.

The path of least resistance is to not worry about summer grows and instead do a fall to spring grow or two separate ones if it gets cold enough in winter to kill anything, but at this point we have something even better, two summers that passed since the topic started so cyberwarrior can tell us how it went.

Gargoyle91 said:
Yea I bought a cheap green house off of ebay and without knowing what I was doing Temps were getting into the 130 degree range cooked everything I was trying to germinate and really made my potted tomatoes mad . I do not recomend buying this one I can't figure out how to control the temp in it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Larger-Hot-Green-House-20X10X7-Walk-In-Outdoor-Plant-Gardening-Greenhouse-/281444065049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41875f9f19

Put it up for fall to spring and take it down for summer, or move the plants out.  The other option is a fan to pull fresh air in, not just one inside to stir it around.  For the purpose of rain resistance and because heat rises, a roof cap fan (or series of more than one) design may work out best.

Dave2000 said:

Put it up for fall to spring and take it down for summer, or move the plants out.  The other option is a fan to pull fresh air in, not just one inside to stir it around.  For the purpose of rain resistance and because heat rises, a roof cap fan (or series of more than one) design may work out best.

And if you need to you could run the humidifier, shade cloth and fans then switch over to HPS bulbs just like a grow tent maybe add some thermal mass (black rain barrels) and rock or sand floor. You can move plant's outside or in the house for the summer ;)

Back