• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding ideas for crosses

I think I'm going to try to do some crosses either today or sometime soon. I was thinking cumari (yellow chinense one) x yellow 7, and cumari (red praetermissum one) x bhut jolokia or bih jolokia, or possibly a scorpion (regular or Butch T). As I understand it the praetermissum and (mostly) chinense bhut/bih/scorpion should cross and produce fertile F1 seeds as long as the chinense is the male according to this. http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2003044441005626.html It says NG for germinate normally. This will be my first attempt at making crosses though.

Has anyone here crossed a praetermissum x chinense and if so what was the offspring like? And anyone have any good ideas? I have about 70 varieties so I have a decent selection to work from.

You can try combining your favorite giant C.annuum with a superhot, maybe you'd end up with a wrinkly, evil looking hot Cubanelle.

Hows that?

I would be more curious of the first 2 crosses you mentioned being switched. I always wonder as to how the colors cross too.

I would be more curious of the first 2 crosses you mentioned being switched. I always wonder as to how the colors cross too.

I think both would definitely be interesting, but I'm more focused on matching up flavors. The fruity loops flavor of the praetermissum cumari (which I got labeled as cumari pollux but the nomenclature seems to be all over the place) + the fruity flavor, size, and heat of the bhut jolokia sounds awesome to me. Plus the heat of the cumari lasts a really long time. I think it would be one really mean, awesome tasting pepper. :D

I've been wondering what the color might be like if I crossed a red or yellow variety with a chocolate variety though. Hmm...

You can try combining your favorite giant C.annuum with a superhot, maybe you'd end up with a wrinkly, evil looking hot Cubanelle.

Hows that?

I like this idea. Poblano + trinidad scorpion? I think that would make some good poppers. :D Or poblano + some variety of habanero would probably be pretty cool too.

I like this idea. Poblano + trinidad scorpion? I think that would make some good poppers. :D Or poblano + some variety of habanero would probably be pretty cool too.
Then Poblano it should be, since it may as well incorporate your favorite(s).

Or a giant super-early, like the super shepherd, with a trinidad scorpion. Super shepherds have way more flavor than bell peppers too btw.

i know very little about crossing and don't really have an interest in designing my own branded pepper, as of right now. it's something that just doesn't excite me.
but i have looked into the idea, to familiarize myself should i decide to venture there one day.

i may be over analyzing things but here is a website that i found interesting in relation to chromosomes, it talks about those peppers that don't cross: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~thietavu/Chili/L_wild.htm

goatsweed grows really well for me, liking my cooler weather. so this year i thought i would try some rocoto, another cool weather pepper, thinking if grows as nicely as the goatsweed perhaps they can be crossed. both have furry leaves, both are hot, both like cooler weather and dry, arid conditions - thought what a nice gentle match and easy crossing if i decide to move in that direction. can only guess what the fruit would look like. my luck, the furry combination would produce a bald plant.

i then found an interesting article that talked about the serrano being known as the pepper of the mountains and thought perhaps this too would be a nice addition for a cool weather branded cross but serrano hasn't really grown well for me. perhaps what i call mountains compared to other regions will have to be investigated.

...... first ever Canadian Mountain Pepper - Furry like Santa!

Interesting link, will have to check it out!

goatsweed grows really well for me, liking my cooler weather. so this year i thought i would try some rocoto, another cool weather pepper!
Some rocotos do often do better than other peppers in cooler climates. Just remember that many of these take 2 years before they produce well/at all, particularly in locations with a short growing season like yours! ;) So you may need to overwinter them at least one year to get best results. :cool:

rocoto, another cool weather pepper, thinking if grows as nicely as the goatsweed perhaps they can be crossed. both have furry leaves, both are hot, both like cooler weather and dry, arid conditions - thought what a nice gentle match and easy crossing if i decide to move in that direction. can only guess what the fruit would look like. my luck, the furry combination would produce a bald plant.
Rocotos and other C. Pubs. will not cross with any of the other domesticated species, they will only cross with other C. Pubs., and some wild species.

So unfortunately, no Canadian Fury Santa Pepper this year! :lol:

i know very little about crossing and don't really have an interest in designing my own branded pepper, as of right now. it's something that just doesn't excite me.
but i have looked into the idea, to familiarize myself should i decide to venture there one day.

i may be over analyzing things but here is a website that i found interesting in relation to chromosomes, it talks about those peppers that don't cross: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~thietavu/Chili/L_wild.htm

That is a really, really good read. :cool:

[quoteSo unfortunately, no Canadian Fury Santa Pepper this year! ][/quote]

damn, it's always something..... that's why i supplied the first link, i never thought that chromosomes would play a roll. lots of talk on our site about crossing but there are some products that just can't be crossed. again, i may be reading too much into things.

though i supplied the linked, i haven't exampled all the fine details. i may have to go to my back up of serrano, goatsweed cross. should i decide to do something. or hot lemon & goatsweed.

Proper crossing takes allot of luck,seeds,space and time hope you know that right? Assuming you want to isolate the perfect characteristics from each plant, creating a whole new phenotype, your looking at maybe 3-4 generations each with about 15-20 plants.

But I've been thinking about doing this quite a bit. Would be loads of fun and you'd help create a wonderful new variety. If you can, cross a fatalii with a chocolate habenaro to make an extremely prolific,black deliciously fruity pepper with nuclear type heat. If you could pull that off, I'd then cross this pepper (which I dub ''black death pepper'' then maybe cross it ever so slightly with a red savina for heat-whilst keeping the flavour of the original (black death) cross.

Cheers and good luck!

damn, it's always something..... that's why i supplied the first link, i never thought that chromosomes would play a roll. lots of talk on our site about crossing but there are some products that just can't be crossed. again, i may be reading too much into things.

though i supplied the linked, i haven't exampled all the fine details. i may have to go to my back up of serrano, goatsweed cross. should i decide to do something. or hot lemon & goatsweed.

Have you seen the link in my first post? It has a really nice chart showing all the possible crosses and viability of offspring.

Proper crossing takes allot of luck,seeds,space and time hope you know that right? Assuming you want to isolate the perfect characteristics from each plant, creating a whole new phenotype, your looking at maybe 3-4 generations each with about 15-20 plants.

But I've been thinking about doing this quite a bit. Would be loads of fun and you'd help create a wonderful new variety. If you can, cross a fatalii with a chocolate habenaro to make an extremely prolific,black deliciously fruity pepper with nuclear type heat. If you could pull that off, I'd then cross this pepper (which I dub ''black death pepper'' then maybe cross it ever so slightly with a red savina for heat-whilst keeping the flavour of the original (black death) cross.

Cheers and good luck!

Well I'm just trying to cross some plants and grow the F1s right now, not necessarily try to breed a stable variety out of it. Although trying to breed a stable variety is something that has crossed (pun intended) my mind. I know that's a big undertaking that takes years but if I really like a cross I might try to take it on. :D

Have you seen the link in my first post? It has a really nice chart showing all the possible crosses and viability of offspring.

yes and it's a great chart as a guideline, but don't you just hate it, when the varieties you are interested in crossing show up as "no data", then the follow up statement that perhaps they won't cross. keeps one thinking though.

Back