• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Identify these 2 pepper types

I bought these at my local Indian spice shop/grocery. The larger peppers in the 1st pic taste like Serrano's, with Serrano heat, except they are much thinner than Serrano's. The smaller peppers in the 2nd pic are a little hotter, but very bitter.

Can these be identified?

Thanks

0710a.jpg

0710b.jpg

A lot of indian resturaunts have this one. great flavour , medium heat. they always seem to use them green. when jay and i would get indian food we would tell them to make it hotter and those are what they added. don't know the name but they are really good.

The bigger ones could be Jati's. Not sure if the smaller ones are a different breed, but they were in a different bin. I don't like green peppers. The large ones had decent heat for a medium pepper, but with that overwhelming green vegetable taste that I can't stand. I'm assuming that the ripe red Jati would have more flavor, but in any event, it would lack the green vegetable taste. Now that I am thinking about it, there is something wrong with the batch of small peppers in the 2nd pic, a they are far too bitter. It almost tastes like burnt food.

The bigger ones could be Jati's. Not sure if the smaller ones are a different breed, but they were in a different bin. I don't like green peppers. The large ones had decent heat for a medium pepper, but with that overwhelming green vegetable taste that I can't stand. I'm assuming that the ripe red Jati would have more flavor, but in any event, it would lack the green vegetable taste. Now that I am thinking about it, there is something wrong with the batch of small peppers in the 2nd pic, a they are far too bitter. It almost tastes like burnt food.
Are you eating them raw? - I might throw the smaller ones into a Jal Ferazi but I wouldn't want to eat them raw. There's an Indian Grocery in Green Bay that I visit whenever in town, and they always carry those smaller chiles and they always seem to be in the same 'poor' condition as the ones in your photo. A lot of Indian food can be quite bitter, in fact they use quite a bit of Tamarind to enhance the bitterness. That might be a virtue/quality of the particular pepper you have there. So I guess it's horses for courses, if you want something less bitter you'll have to look elsewhere. The larger ones look i good shape, just a case of making a sauce/dish to compliment their flavor profile. Maybe something like a rogan josh?

Yeah, I'm eating them raw. At the shop, I bought some Tamarind powder, not having any idea what it was. I'll have to use it in some recipe with the peppers.

Back