• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Identify yard weed

can anyone help me identify these two yard weeds, they are taking over my yard

036.JPG

044.JPG

041.JPG

043.JPG

The purple flower/heart leaf is violet. Tender leaves and flowers are good in a salad. Don't over do it though, they are very high in vitamin A.
Don't know that first one.

Good luck. This crap is all over my yard. Fortunately it has very shallow roots and pulling it up almost always works great and is easy. It is just EVERYWHERE.

I wouldn't consider the violets a weed at all, just keep them cut back if they start to get crazy.

Chickweed is awful. It is easy to yank it up, but it has the very annoying survival trait of having a very weak connection of the above-ground parts to the below-ground parts. All you end up doing is plucking off the current growth and leaving the huge root system in place, ready to shoot up more growth for your weed pulling pleasure. In the garden, I loosen up the soil with a claw and make sure to pull up the roots. In the yard I think you are hosed. Around here it goes crazy in the spring then tends to die back when it gets really hot.

my only option really is to increase the desirable growing conditions for grass, and keep pulling up the weeds. I seriously have more of this chickweed than grass at this point.

I have the violet all over my yard. I pull some up, but leave some for the variegated flittery butterfly. It's a host plant for them.

Back