I'm cooking a turkey for christmas

youbastardyoubastardyoubastardyoubastardyoubastardyoubastardyoubastardyou

hope you enjoy those prawns,,k,,,,

the marinated prawns look really good. the turkey looks really good too but whats the reason for the tinfoil ?

stillmanz said:
Big frigging Birds Turkeys they have so much meat on them I'm fairly unfamiliar with them before yesterday.

turkeys are good! in all cooked/smoked forms. & yes they have quite abit of meat on them. I take turkeys are not that popular in oz ? you should try injecting them then put them in a turkey fryer, its good!

I cooked the bird in a BBq with a back ceramic burner on, I tinfoiled the areas that were browning up too fast. I like when you rotisserie a pig.
When we were kids mum would raise and slaughter Turkeys for Sunday Roast But I was too little to appreciate it.
I've seen those turkey fryers very cool I like.

I filled the cavity of the bird with pineapple and jerk spices and lime juice.
It was really moist and delicous they tatse like pork mor than chicken I truely recomend jerking your next Turkey.

I'm sure jerking a turkey would taste damn good, but I'm kinda stuck in my way as to what flavors I like with turkey.
most times its cooked in an oven or grilled/smoked (turkey holidays are usually to cold to be cooking them outside), I've only tried the fried turkey once so far at a friends, & it was good, now I want a fryer :lol:
smoked legs are good!

you know I never gave it much thought as to what turkey tastes like, I agree nothing like chicken. when you said pork, it does kinda taste like a pork chop in a strange way but still not really. but since you said that I'd have to agree that'd be a close comparision.

chilehunter said:
I'm sure jerking a turkey would taste damn good, but I'm kinda stuck in my way as to what flavors I like with turkey.
most times its cooked in an oven or grilled/smoked (turkey holidays are usually to cold to be cooking them outside), I've only tried the fried turkey once so far at a friends, & it was good, now I want a fryer :lol:

We have turkey injected and fried in a turkey fryer every year at my Uncle-in-Law's house. Best turkey I've ever had. I'd recommend this to everyone. I have never had jerked turkey though Stillz. I'm sure it was awesome and those prawns looked amazing.

Do you mind if I drool all over your thread stillmanz?

I love turkey, had my first deep fried one this year, won't be the last either.

I hunt wild turkeys and they are yum yum yummy on the grill. Can't eat the drumsticks though, like trying to eat a piece of one inch thick shoe leather.

patrick said:
I hunt wild turkeys and they are yum yum yummy on the grill. Can't eat the drumsticks though, like trying to eat a piece of one inch thick shoe leather.

I agree wild turkeys are really dry, 1st time I made the mistake of cooking/smoking the wild turkey whole (injected the whole thing)
the back half (leg half) was cooked too long, very dry & chewy. IMO the only way to use the back half is put that on the grill once the breast section is halfway done or to use it for soup (I did this for the overcooked leg half & it turned out great)

I now brine every turkey I cook. (ala Alton Brown)

Also a digital thermometer is key to keeping it moist.

If grilled, a pan of moisture underneath is a must to slow the cooking of the leg and thighs and to keep it moist.

I won't cook a turkey or pork loin without the digital thermometer!

cheezydemon said:
I now brine every turkey I cook. (ala Alton Brown)

Also a digital thermometer is key to keeping it moist.

If grilled, a pan of moisture underneath is a must to slow the cooking of the leg and thighs and to keep it moist.

I won't cook a turkey or pork loin without the digital thermometer!

Alton brown is my hero.

Txclosetgrower said:
Alton brown is my hero.

He really botched the episode on brewing beer, but aside from that he is great!

Brine the bird
500F for 30 minutes
reduce to 350 and cover until internal temp of 165.

Like clockwork!

I even injected the last one and it didn't add much flavor beyond what the brine does.

cheezydemon said:
He really botched the episode on brewing beer, but aside from that he is great!

Brine the bird
500F for 30 minutes
reduce to 350 and cover until internal temp of 165.

Like clockwork!

I even injected the last one and it didn't add much flavor beyond what the brine does.

Have you ever tried his cinnamon rolls? :shocked: AMAZING

and those braised ribs I posted were from his recipe, which are also f'ing amazing. Lol, he's also where I got the cardboard box fish smoker & the box fan beef jerky dehydrator ideas. It's like macguyver and bill nye joined forces to create a cooking show.

I especially liked the tuna steaks cooked over the charcoal chimney starter and the Strip steaks cooked right on the charcoal after blowdrying them. He is very educational albeit a little corny.

JayT said:
I especially liked the tuna steaks cooked over the charcoal chimney starter and the Strip steaks cooked right on the charcoal after blowdrying them. He is very educational albeit a little corny.

Yeah its really corny, but you end up remembering it cause it is so ridiculous so it works out lol. www.goodeatsfanpage.com has all the transcripts and recipes if you didn't already know

On a completely different subject:

Stillmanz, one of the best things about cooking turkey is after it's picked clean you can use the carcass to make turkey stock. You can then turn that into turkey & dumplings or some kind of turkey soup. I beg for leftovers from everyone I know each thanksgiving lol.

Also, you'll be amazed at how much meat is left on a turkey once it looks picked clean. You can almost fill a large sandwich baggie with what falls off after making stock. Add most of that back to the soup and its awesome.

I use the turkey carcass to make congee.

There is so much meat left over it's insane.

On the topic of bird cooking, where do you take the temp at? 165 in the breast or 165 in the thick part of the thigh?

I did the breast and while the breast came out perfect, the dark meat was all a bit too pink and had to go back in the oven for 20 mins or so...

The most important thing is to have the digital probe in all meat. If it sticks out even a little into the cavity or out in mid-air, your reading will be way off.

Best way is to have 2......

When the breast is done, cover it well and move it to the bottom rack until the thighs are done too.165F or so is good for me.

Back