I'm drunk so how bout a beer snob thread

Wow I'm drunk for only having drank 3 beers. Jesus. Went halves on a mixed sixer @ central market with a friend then went and played some disc golf¹. We got the 6 pack for $7.80 because the girl didn't pay any attention and just scanned the whole thing instead of charging individual beers. Best deal ever. Anyway we only got through like 4 holes because it got dark but in the process drank beers a piece. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I don't drink shit beer.

Three I had were:
1) Oaked Arrogant Bastard(American strong, 7.20% ABV)
2) Unibroue La Fin Du Monde(belgian tripel, 9.00% ABV)
3) Breckenridge 471 IPA(9.20% ABV)

1. Never had Arrogant bastard before so I can't compare this to un-oaked bastard. But it was delicious. I killed this by the end of hole one. Depsite the fact it kicked me in the nuts and then snatched my bottle opener and opened itself, it was suprisingly easy to drink. It was delicious, bitter like an IPA but not the same floral flavor. I really liked it, I'm getting another one tomorrow. They were like $14.70 a six pack so I got a hell of a deal. Strong taste but alcohol is well hidden. Lives up to the reputation.

2. I really like Unibroue, they make some great beer. Had the Trois Pistoles before, so I bought this on a whim. Excellent decision. It is a belgian tripel, but this one had a very strong hefeweizen taste that was nicely offset by a good hoppy bitterness. I can't believe this one was 9.00% alcohol, it tastes so good. Nice and spicy, sweet but not too sweet. Another instant favorite, I love tripels, and this is one of the best I've had.

3. Had this one on tap previously at The Flying Saucer. Loved it. Just a great example of an american IPA. Another one that doesn't taste anywhere near as alcoholic as it is. Just like any good IPA, a couple of these will get you wasted. God I love IPAs. They're like sex, never bad just sometimes better than others. This is one of my go to IPAs when I want something good that isn't too hard to find.

----------------------------------------------------------------
¹disc golf, n.: an excuse to get drunk in a park and throw frisbees into trees

I'll bite.

The $#^^% I'm drinking thread was started by a little kid who went on to drown pretty immediately.

I decided it was in poor taste to continue it. But I digress!!

No beer snob thread would be fully christened without a comparison of Budweiser to some kind of urine. So here goes:

"Budweiser is only slightly preferrable to elephant urine, mostly because it actually contains some alcohol."

cheezydemon said:
I'll bite.

The $#^^% I'm drinking thread was started by a little kid who went on to drown pretty immediately.

No beer snob thread would be fully christened without a comparison of Budweiser to some kind of urine. So here goes:

"Budweiser is only slightly preferrable to elephant urine, mostly because it actually contains some alcohol."

We kept that thread going to honor his memory dude.

oh man... i just got into an argument about shitty beers and the similarities of urine & tainted water to them... I've ruined myself with regards to cheap beer; im to used to good beer to drink cheap beer....
I've got a sebago lake trout stout and a shipyard export sitting on my desk staring back at me....
as for the brews you tried; 1.) im a fan of pretty much everyting stone brewery has to offer 2.) ive only had trois pistoles, but after your review ill have to give this a try 3.) never had breckenridge 471; but after your review ill have to give it a shot
Just FYI magic hat has thier braggot (now called odd notion) in a mixed pack (feast of fools); you should check it out, i love braggot (please ignore the #9 they feel obligated to stuff in every mix pack they offer)

Damn it Sid! It is too early and I am at work!

Sorry IGG, I do not sit in judgement, I just feel that I personally judge all of the people still posting on that thread to be the insensetive spawn of SATAN.

:lol: I just feel that it has veered too far off to be an homage, but to each their own!

Since homebrewing Sid, I buy less and less beer.

I don't want to be out of touch, but money, and the fact that I can brew similar or better than most brews (and way cheaper) has forced my hand.

cheezydemon said:
I'll bite.

Wait what? A kid drowned? Im lost. :lol:

Yes. The 14 year old kid posted some bizarre threads about alcohol and pepper based pranks, and then he disappeared. We later discovered that he was found on the bottom of a pool and declared dead on the spot.

cheezydemon said:
Yes. The 14 year old kid posted some bizarre threads about alcohol and pepper based pranks, and then he disappeared. We later discovered that he was found on the bottom of a pool and declared dead on the spot.

Holy shit, really? That is crazy. How did yall find out?

He wasn't some crazy kid, he was a nice kid that had autismn. He started the F@#$ it I'm drinking thread and ALOT of people here were very saddened to find out about his death. Basically he was unsupervised (I believe his Grandmother was supposed to be watching him) and they found him drowned in the family pool. Alot of people here sent the family cards expressing their sadness.

I found Fin Du La Monde not so great. At $9 a four pack, I definitely can't see buying it again.

I also wondered about the pretentious name when it is actually brewed in the USA. Kinda like Haaagendhaz (or whatever TF) the outlandishly named american ice cream company.

My beer snobbery borders more on the Red Hook, Sam Adams, Goose Island, hating Bud Miller Coors (BMC) end of the beer snob spectrum. I brew great beer, so paying $2.50 a beer in the liquor store is out of the question for a 12 ouncer!

So if you like strong beers do some research if you can get imported "EKU 28"... "EKU" means "Erste Kulmbacher Aktienbrauerei" and 28 stands for 28 % of original wort. Divided by 3 you get the alcohol. Good stuff!

P.S.: As a proud citizen of a grand beer brewing nation I cant resist to cite a saying which is so old that it already has a beard.

"American beer is like making love in a canoe: fuckin' close to water!"

Armadillo said:
P.S.: As a proud citizen of a grand beer brewing nation I cant resist to cite a saying which is so old that it already has a beard.

"American beer is like making love in a canoe: fuckin' close to water!"

imaguitargod said:
lol. Alot of our craft beers are helping to change that notion...but ya.... ;)

Absofuckinglutely!;)

There are some damn fine beers made in both our countries, but homebrewing and the american craft beer industry are making the USA the home of some of the world's best breweries.

yeah i still brew, but when im outta homebrew while waiting for my high grav beer to be ready, or want something different than what i brewed, or see a shiny bottle in the market, well you get the idea... if it was all about finances id quit drinking (did it for 6 months while money was really tight) i need to meet more homebrewers up here, i cnat get my hands on enough good beer other than my own

Armadillo said:
So if you like strong beers do some research if you can get imported "EKU 28"... "EKU" means "Erste Kulmbacher Aktienbrauerei" and 28 stands for 28 % of original wort. Divided by 3 you get the alcohol. Good stuff!

That is in my top two favorite beers.(along with Samichlaus) I absolutely love it! Can you translate the Erste Kulmbacher Aktienbrauerei to English for me?

Back