I'm going to try and pressure cook a roast, lets see what happens

I'm cooking 2.2lb rump roast. I tenderized it using a jaccard, seasoned it with salt & pepper then heated a bit of olive oil to smoking and browned it real well on all sides. Rubbed it down with liberally with some smoked spanish sweet paprika.

Into the pot went 1 onion just sliced into strips, sauteed til soft then deglazed with white wine. Added 1 can tomato sauce, dash of worscestershire sauce, some August in Texas hot sauce, can of crushed tomatoes, some more wine, molasses, brown sugar, some sriracha & some cider vinegar. We're going somewhat bbq tonight.

HOLY CRAP! i just went to check on it and the valve popped open and started venting steam....I was unaware this would be that loud. :shocked: Ok, 15 min til I add the diced sweet potatoes and i'll take pics then.

3148877057_152340e77f.jpg

Added some allspice, cumin, savory leaf, chopped garlic, 2 bay leaves & 1 japanese sweet potato, cubed. Back under the lid, wait for teh pop then 15 min til i eat.

Txclosetgrower said:
3148877057_152340e77f.jpg

Added some allspice, cumin, savory leaf, chopped garlic, 2 bay leaves & 1 japanese sweet potato, cubed. Back under the lid, wait for teh pop then 15 min til i eat.

looks good - how was it?

It came out pretty good, not quite as tender as i was expecting but that's ok. The flavor was excellent, I really liked how the sauce turned out. Next time I'll just extend the cooking time a bit. I couldn't toss it back on to finish because I had already added the potatoes and they would have turned to mush.

Tx,

I tend to cooks roast beasts and pork for 45 minutes or so after the cooker starts jingling. Keep the fire just high enough so it jingles for 3-5 seconds twice or three times a minute.

An alternative is using a slow cooker and cooking the roast for three hours or so, then adding the seasoning. If the potatoes and other ingredients have not been cooked, then two hours and add the taters, letting them cook for a couple of hours.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Tx,

I tend to cooks roast beasts and pork for 45 minutes or so after the cooker starts jingling. Keep the fire just high enough so it jingles for 3-5 seconds twice or three times a minute.

An alternative is using a slow cooker and cooking the roast for three hours or so, then adding the seasoning. If the potatoes and other ingredients have not been cooked, then two hours and add the taters, letting them cook for a couple of hours.

Mike

Haha whole purpose of pressure cooking was to not have to wait the standard 5-8 hours like a slow cooker.

And i think it might have been more tender if I had used a chuck roast instead of a rump roast. First time cooking a rump roast so i didn't know exactly what to expect.

Tx,

I hear ya! I've fixed Flank Steak, English Steak and other cuts that a lion would have trouble chewing in a pressure cooker and the meat is more tender than ice cream.

My problem is finding the old fashioned type of cooker - one with the weight. Using it, I never run low on water and know exactly how long to cook the food. Plus, I can set it to 5, 10 or 15 pounds pressure, depending on the food.

Not sure which cut of meat it is but the best - IMO - to cook is the one that comes in a string casing. It's a bit more expensive but no waste at all.

Mike

One of the most important things about eating beef is the way you cut it. You have to slice it across the grain. Cutting it with the grain will make the piece harder to chew.

My local butcher shop has a "crock pot" roast that comes with the strings around it.

Good luck on the next roast you pressure cook Tx. Takes a few times to get it right so don't give up.

Back