• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I'm Joining PG-AA

texas blues said:
After snorting laundry detergent and taking my pants off over my head, I reckoned that peppers were safer.
I once tried to crawl into my shoe after trying to call my mom with it....her line was busy.....

Mine gets larger all the time. I even cleared out some vines to have more space this spring. I also have plans on digging up some of my yard as well!

Seems like once you grow a "couple" of pepper plants and experience the thrill of eating your own hot peppers, buying peppers at the store is not an option. Year before last I had 4 plants, last year I had 10 plants, this year I have 26 plants and next year, the number of plants is going to increase to at least 130 or so. My yard is small to begin with and each year it seems I have less grass to mow. All of the plants in 2008 will be grown in containers (5 gallon) and will take up an area of 6 feet wide and 48 feet long. I haven't gotten to the point DD is yet with digging up the yard (imagining my wifes' face if I did and laughing).

I dug up my back yard, all except about four feet from the deck. It is about 30x40 feet. Of course, I grew more than peppers (beans, cucumbers, eggplant, basil, four varieties of tomatoes, carrots, beets, squash, potatoes, mustard, cabbage, kale, onions, bell peppers, plus the habs, Thai, jalapeno and Hungarian peppers. Ended up with about 125 quarts of tomato juice, 36 quarts of green beans and carrots, several packages of squash, two dozen pints of beets, several packages of eggplant, 20 quarts of whole tomatoes, 20 pints of dill pickles, some dehydrated cabbage, quite a bit of pepper powder, a few bottle of hot sauce and 50 pounds of potatoes. Not bad for about $80 in seeds, plants and fertilizer. I'll have about 8x40 feet to donate to peppers next year, all in containers. That spot of ground is dead - not even weeds will grow there. But it gets full sun, almost the entire day except for one corner. Probably have about 30 varietes, with three of each plant.

wordwiz said:
I dug up my back yard, all except about four feet from the deck. It is about 30x40 feet. Of course, I grew more than peppers (beans, cucumbers, eggplant, basil, four varieties of tomatoes, carrots, beets, squash, potatoes, mustard, cabbage, kale, onions, bell peppers, plus the habs, Thai, jalapeno and Hungarian peppers. Ended up with about 125 quarts of tomato juice, 36 quarts of green beans and carrots, several packages of squash, two dozen pints of beets, several packages of eggplant, 20 quarts of whole tomatoes, 20 pints of dill pickles, some dehydrated cabbage, quite a bit of pepper powder, a few bottle of hot sauce and 50 pounds of potatoes. Not bad for about $80 in seeds, plants and fertilizer. I'll have about 8x40 feet to donate to peppers next year, all in containers. That spot of ground is dead - not even weeds will grow there. But it gets full sun, almost the entire day except for one corner. Probably have about 30 varietes, with three of each plant.

Plants in containers are great, but you can't get half the size on one in the ground. I use raised beds filled with good quality soil. they are made out of cheap untreated wood. The dirt cost more than the boxes. What happened to the ground? is it toxic?

I don't know what happened to the ground. It use to grow grass okay. For three years I've tried to grow stuff there and it simply will not. Corn, green beans, cucumbers, lettuce - they never mature. Yet if I move two feet away, it grows great stuff.

wordwiz said:
I don't know what happened to the ground. It use to grow grass okay. For three years I've tried to grow stuff there and it simply will not. Corn, green beans, cucumbers, lettuce - they never mature. Yet if I move two feet away, it grows great stuff.

You could, if you're interested, take a soil sample down to your local extension office and have them analysis it. Might give you a better idea of what's going on, and if it's something that's going to spread.

Back