• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health I'm new and doing something wrong...

I tried growing hot peppers for the first time in 2010 using one of those topsy turvy pepper planters and it was an epic fail scenario. So this year after doing some research, I thought I'd give it another try, it's turning out to be more complicated than I thought. I started germinating 24(8 orange habs, 8 carribean red habs, and 8 naga jolokias) seeds on April 6th. I used the jiffy greenhouse deal with the 72 peat pots, used a heating pad on low and 7 days later the first seedling appeared. 18 of the 24 seeds sprouted and I thought that was pretty good. They've been sitting in front of a picture window since. Last week I thought I'd transplant them into styrofoam cups as the roots were starting to poke out of the netting on the peat pots. I let them sit out in the sun all day long, next day too. The next day I noticed a lot of the leaves were discolored and after some research I found out it's sunscald. Lesson learned! So they've been inside recuperating from that experience, I get home last night and now there's mold on top of the soil. I dunno what the heck I'm doing wrong! I'm discouraged but all in all the plants aren't doing that bad...they're small, the tallest one is only 2 1/2 inches. In 7 weeks, that about right? I transplanted them into cups filled with Miracle-gro organic choice potting mix. Yay? Nay? The next step would be to put them outside in 4-5 gallon generic greenhouse pots when the nights are 55-60 degrees. Any and all comments and suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!

Various problems.
1. topsy turvy pepper planters
2. 18 of the 24 seeds sprouted and I thought that was pretty good. They've been sitting in front of a picture window since
3. I let them sit out in the sun all day long, next day too
4. mold on top of the soil.
5. cups filled with Miracle-gro
6. put them outside in 4-5 gallon

1. No need to comment you've seemed to learn from that mistake
2. Once they sprout you should move them to small cups or containers and place them under some type of grow light
3. Peppers grown inside should be hardened off first before giving direct sunlight
4. Your soil is too wet causing mold. Let the soil dry out before watering
5. Miracle grow is not suggested. If your not sure what to use just get a bag of Pro-mix
6. refer to #3

welcome to the asylum,

i am old and i still do things in the wrong way,
you youngsters can just get in line for who does the dumbest stuff
behind me :lol:

if you are growing chilis {and they ain't dead yet} the game ain't over :woohoo:

june is approaching fast, and june is known as "bug month"
just wait to see what will come attacking your babies
as much as we like to think we are gonna fight
the plants and bugs have been battling far longer than
we have been involved :crazy:
try to do things they (the peppers)ask you to do, like give them light water and some fertilizing
and see if you won't end up with some peppers

Back