• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

I'm ready, I'm ready!

Frost Free Day is here, my plants are hardened off, the seed potatoes are cut and I'm ready to get started. Moved several yards of silty dirt and scattered it over the ground that is heavily clay then rotary tilled it and the roots from the winter wheat crop. Added 18 pounds of 10-10-10 fertilizer and tilled it again. Now it is time to plant... except... rain is forecast for the next four days! Not heavy downpours, the kind that would beat the dirt down, just enough to keep it too wet to work.

So 100 seed potatoes, 35 pepper plants, 70 tomato plants, some cucumbers and cantaloupe plants as well as some green bean and carrot seeds sit idle, just waiting to move into their home.

I'm curious to see how this season turns out, as the wheat roots are not even close to rotten and in most cases there is still green plant material easily visible.

Mike

Ciao Mike-

I know, it's just crazy, this weather. I had planned to start hardening things off this week. With low temps close to freezing and frost still a possibility, I can't do it and each day that goes by, the plants get closer and closer to lights that are as high as they can go. It's making me mental, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I guess we just wait until the weather warms up. :rolleyes:

Sorellina,

I remember this happening once when I was a kid. Just enough rain to keep us from setting tobacco but dry enough to plant seeds that only needed to be an inch or so deep. Dad was not going to waste a bunch of "Boy hours" so it seemed like every other day, we would put out another row or two of green beans.

Mom canned 360 quarts that year!

Mike

Back