• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Immature pods producing black spots

Hey all,

So this maybe a stupid question with a real blatant answer but this morning I noticed that some of very small pods on one of my super chilli plants are starting to turn black, as opposed to the other 5 plants whose pods are just light green. I tried to scratch it off, in-case it was just dirt on the surface...but it seems that the skin is just turning black in parts.

Here are some pictures:

d8965456.jpg

4a9cba3e.jpg

And then some pictures of one of the other plants which is producing well, with most pods being around 2 inch in length:

d2688f4f.jpg

0103c0f1.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish quality pics.

Anything to worry about, or is it just a genetic defect?

Many peppers will do that when the pods are exposed to direct sunlight. It's a natural response, and apart from the cosmetic change there's really nothing to be worried about.

A more extreme case would be sunscald, where the peppers develop soft, white spots, but I've only ever seen this in the larger pepper varieties.

Many peppers will do that when exposed to direct sunlight. It's a natural response, and apart from the cosmetic change there's really nothing to be worried about.

A more extreme case would be sunscald, where the peppers develop soft, white spots, but I've only ever seen this in the larger pepper varieties.

Fair enough, that seems like a logical answer.

I'm just surprised because the weather here over the past couple of weeks has been fairly overcast, or would this be the result of a more prolonged exposure to direct sunlight?

Fair enough, that seems like a logical answer.

I'm just surprised because the weather here over the past couple of weeks has been fairly overcast, or would this be the result of a more prolonged exposure to direct sunlight?

Never really paid attention to how long it takes to occur... I just know my Jalapenos do it all the time where there are gaps in the foliage. Like I said, nothing to worry about, the peppers will taste the same.

Never really paid attention to how long it takes to occur... I just know my Jalapenos do it all the time where there are gaps in the foliage. Like I said, nothing to worry about, the peppers will taste the same.

Okay then, thanks for answering my petty questions :)

I have had mine do the same thing before. I have a plant right now with some on there like that. It does not seem to hurt them. :lol:

Back