Importing Wild Seeds in New Zealand

I recently had a shipment stopped by the Ministry for Primary Industries inbound from the USA. I had about 15 pepper varieties coming in of which they nabbed 3, the c.galapagoenese, c.praetermissum (Cumari Pollux) and c.sp (Blue Mystery) - they sent a letter to inform me.  All domestic peppers sailed through so it seems clear the rule is no wilds in NZ.  I appealed to our EPA who said if I can prove it is already in NZ there should be a path to getting the seeds released.  Otherwise it will be a long and expensive process to get them in - their words.

Why this post?  I guess to let other kiwis know that wild pepper species are not allowed in so that folk don't waste their money on them.  

I do get that it is important to protect our native species but the wild vs domesticated capsicum species distinction seems like an arbitrary line in the sand.   I am happy to post letters from MPI and EPA if anyone is interested but they don't have much I didn't mention.

The thought has crossed my mind but I do kinda get what why the rules are in place, I would like to go through the front door if possible.  I guess the irony is the galapagoense wouldn't exist if it weren't for it's geographical isolation leading to endemic species which is exactly what the import rules in New Zealand are set up to protect.

I agree with millworkman, Happy Birthday cards work the best. I have some Cumari Pollux I can send you in one if  you'd like to try the birthday card method. PM if interested.

Its because of New Zealand pretty much perfect growth climate in Northern areas especially where it seems every unproven introduced species of plant thrives and then ruins native habitat ... The wild species I could see becoming a weed in native forests quite easily. I would just be thankful they didn't take the lot seeing as you are supposed to supply a phytosanitary certificate with any species of Capsicum into New Zealand

Saugapepper, that is an awesome offer but I think I will leave it for the moment.  

Trippa, I have been reading your thread about seeds into Aussie with interest.  You guys have one distinct advantage in having a few great local companies.  I looked up the phytosanitary documentation http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/155-02-05.pdf
:

PHYTOSANITARY CERTIFICATE
a)For Seed listed in the Plants Biosecurity Index as "Basic" The Importer may elect one of the following two options:
Option 1: Seed with a phytosanitary certificate
Each lot or consignment is to be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate issued by the national plant protection organisation (NPPO) in the country of origin, certifying that seed for sowing has been inspected in accordance with appropriate official procedures and found to be free of any visually detectable regulated pests, and conforms to New Zealand’s current import requirements.

Option2: Seed without a phytosanitary certificate
On arrival in New Zealand the consignment or samples, drawn in accordance with approved sampling rules, are to be inspected by a inspector at the importer's expense.

I guess I fell under option 2 and maybe for shipments clearly intended for the hobby grower they swallow the costs?  This shipment came from PepperLover and the shipping documentation and packaging were excellent.  The clear plastic seed pouches allow inspection without each individual packet having to be opened. 

Yeah I am originally from New Zealand ... And will eventually be looking to move home so I take a vested interest in getting my seeds back somehow ... Don't want to be getting rid of my whole seed stock and starting over

Back