• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Impotence in Capsicum?

Still puzzling over these 'Not PdN x SB7J' (f2) that were handed on to me.
At first I thought this was a deficiency, but I've never seen stamens like these. Both of the plants I have that are flowering are showing these same, what appear to be, pollen-free stamens.
As an experiment, I tried using the pollen from CP-203 to pollinate it(since I was already pollenating CP-203) and managed to get a pod to set.. We'll see if it grows. In the meantime, I hope to find some deeper reads on this subject.
Anyone every seen something like these stamens before? Thoughts?

20220909_131352.jpg
20220831_165734.jpg

🤔 never seen that before but I'm not sure I would like to reproduce this trait (mutation?) as it is probably not a very good fitness enhancer...

I've seen this with hybrids between C.annuum and C.chacoense.
Male impotence?
I'd love to know more about the history of this cross, but Adam hasn't been on here and I'm not sure where he got the seeds from originally.

I found a paper discussing Impotence and the relation between that and PAP3? It was late and I lost it, but that's all I've found so far on the subject.

I haven't seen anything quite like this, but I have experienced sterile plants before.
This season I had a fantastic Carboruga Yellow plant, that just grew MASSIVE. Perfect looking plant, FULL of flowers, but not a single fruit ever took. I tried everything with this plant, but in the end I had to just had to compost it.
Also my own annuum x chinense crosses turned out sterile (all four plants) so I had to pollinate them with pollen from other chinense plants to get fruits.

Male impotence?
I'd love to know more about the history of this cross, but Adam hasn't been on here and I'm not sure where he got the seeds from originally.

I found a paper discussing Impotence and the relation between that and PAP3? It was late and I lost it, but that's all I've found so far on the subject.
Yes,stamens without pollen. I am familiar with this happening with hybrids between C.chacoence and C.annuum. There are some that are well documented on other forums and if I get a chance,can share photos of mine.

Sorry, I can't help out with the history of your hybrid or am I able to keep up with the names,numbers or acronyms of this crazy scene anymore. I don't think any key or database could either.

I haven't seen anything quite like this, but I have experienced sterile plants before.
This season I had a fantastic Carboruga Yellow plant, that just grew MASSIVE. Perfect looking plant, FULL of flowers, but not a single fruit ever took. I tried everything with this plant, but in the end I had to just had to compost it.
Also my own annuum x chinense crosses turned out sterile (all four plants) so I had to pollinate them with pollen from other chinense plants to get fruits.
That's a shame about your sterile Carboruga, I was worried I'd have a similar experience.. I've had luck pollinating these with C. baccatum and C. annuum so far. Outside of the impotence, these plants have been some of the most consistent of any indoor variety I've had yet. Not really worth getting into all their great traits unless I get the issue worked out.

Did you grow out the seeds from the other cross you were able to pollinate?

Back