• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering In for the winter

I may be reacting prematurely, but we've had our first cold snap of the year, with predicted lows down in the lower 40s, so I've started moving some of the more delicate plants into my office (which has a nice sunny window and an officemate who doesn't mind a temporary garden in her peripheral vision).

It'll be interesting to see what kind of continued growth I get. There's a Congo Trinidad plant in here that suffered some pretty bad sunburn and lost its lower foliage; it kind of looks like a truffula tree from Hell at the moment, with a tall, mostly bare stalk, a broad poof of leaves on the top, and one screaming vermilion pod dangling just below the canopy, but all up and down the "trunk" there are little new leaves starting in, plus five more flowers and a green pod. So I'm not sure if it's going to keep filling out happily and give me a few more pods over the winter, or just go into a holding pattern.

The other two look a little more normal in their current growth habits---the Aji Dulce (#2) almost died of sunburn, but came back impressively quickly, albeit without flowering. The habanero "Adalberto" was an incredibly slow starter back in the spring, but finally has a cluster of flowers going, so maybe I'll get a few out-of-season pods from that one as well.

It's kind of distracting to have them in here. I keep trying to work, and then the Congo pod catches my eye and before I know it I'm sucked into that "sit around gazing at the pepper plants" mode.

-NT

Here in the Midwest we have had our killing Frost heavy freeze, I brought in my two big not hardy Cactus both over twenty years old and a pain to move, then I moved in what looks like a Naga inside along with a trinidad scorp, a Ghost cross, a Naga cross along with several wild tepins and a collection of orchid cactus all of them got put in my extra bed room that has a south facing window all of the peppers are cut back now. I wish I had some pods on them just so I can watch them ripen. Sorry to hijack your tread here, I do have some goodies being sent so I will at least have some fun with it. yeah the season is over can't wait till February so I can start some seeds. :party:

Just joined this site today. I have a Jalapeno & a Serrano plant that are all done for this season, and I want to use them again next year. They are in the ground now, and I have trimmed them back to small stick plants. Can I just leave them there all winter (I'm in Ventura, CA), and they will stay dormant, and then start budding again in the spring? Do I have to do anything else? I want to move them to another spot in the garden for next year, so when would be the best time to dig them up and move them? Now? In the spring? or in between sometime?
Would appreciate advice from anyone who lives in a similar climate as SoCal.
Thanks

Just joined this site today. I have a Jalapeno & a Serrano plant that are all done for this season, and I want to use them again next year. They are in the ground now, and I have trimmed them back to small stick plants. Can I just leave them there all winter (I'm in Ventura, CA), and they will stay dormant, and then start budding again in the spring? Do I have to do anything else? I want to move them to another spot in the garden for next year, so when would be the best time to dig them up and move them? Now? In the spring? or in between sometime?

In Ventura, I would think they'd stand a very good chance of making it through the winter. I've had plants make it through the winter in Poway (we get a few frosts per year and sometimes one or two real freezes) with some regularity and without any special care. Obviously there are no guarantees, but your climate should stay warm enough not to kill the plants. Serranos in particular tend to be tough as nails, in my experience; it freezes, it rains, the dogs sit on the plants, fire rains from the sky, the sun explodes in a flaming wreck, but the serranos keep pluggin' along.

I would think the safest time to transplant them is early spring, before the new season's growth really kicks in. Things will have warmed up enough for their root systems to recover, but they won't yet have a bunch of new leaf growth that they're trying to support.

-NT

Back