• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground In-Ground versus Potted

Could anyone tell me from if any of the plants listed below, from my Grow List, do poorly in pots? I have less in-ground space than I had calculated, so some plants will be planted in 8-gal nursery pots. If any of the plants below have a reputation for doing poorly in pots, I want to avoid potting them. Perhaps, some of these plants grow larger than the rest, so would be better suited to the in-ground bed...? Thanks.

1) Bahamanian Goat (1) MCH
2) Bhut Assam (1) PLOVER
3) Bhut Yellow (1) RTF
4) Bhut Peach (1) THP
5) Car. Reaper (2) JOE
6) Fatali Red (1) THP
7) Fatali Yellow (1) THP
8) Hab Peru White (1) PLOVER
8b) Hab Red Caribbean (1) MCH
9) Scorp Choc (1) THP
10) Scorp Morouga (3) TMUDDER
11) Scorp Butch T (1) HSC (overwintered in pot)
12) Scorp Yellow SR (1) THP
13) Jamaican Mushroom (1) THP
14) Scotch Bonnet Jamaican (2) DENNIZ/THP
15) Scotch Bonnet Foodarama (2) MCH
16) Scotch Bonnet Red (1) THP
17) 7-Pot Brown (1) OBN
18) 7-Pot Brain Red (1) CAPPY
19) 7-Pot Brain Yellow (1) THP
20) 7-Pot Primo (1) RTF
21) 7-Pot Barrackpore (1) TMUDDER
22) Fresno (2) MCH
23) Pequin (1) PLOVER
24) Mexibell (1) MCH
25) Chilaca (1) on-line
26) Cascabel (1) MCH
27) Jalapeno Cracked (2) PLOVER
28) Aji Lemon Drop (1) MCH
29) Thai I (2) store bought pod
30) Thai Piquant (2) THP
31) Red Fire (1) RTF
32) Orchid PI (1) PLOVER
33) Cherry Hot (1) JOE
34) Cherry Bomb (1) MCH
35) Orange Rocoto (1) PLOVER
36) Quadrato D' Asti (1) MCH
37) Italian Roaster (1) MCH
38) Pimenta Leopard (1) RTF
39) Chapeau De Frade (1) RTF
40) Chilhuacle Negro (1) PLOVER
41)Turbo Pube (1) TMUDDER

You can grow any pepper plant in a pot. Ornamentals from 3 to 5 gallon. Other plants 5 to 20 gal on up. The bigger the root zone the larger the plant.
I have a friend that grows on his 70th fl balconey. Of course it does have tempered glass, no railing (This is the windy city). I give her Orange and Red Habs that I manicure ahead of time to keep them shrublike. She uses 18 gal tapered flower containers. They produce robustly with Southeastern exposure.

I grow all my edibles in pots and beds.
But elsewhere I grow inground.Setting the plants in the ground will produce larger plants ....without a doubt, but if the ground has any "wilt" issues then all the plants will suffer.....for more than a season. If you pot up.....as they say the plants can grow in whatever medium you use. Bad soil one year....replace with new the next. Inground has many varibles.

Too answer your question, any of you plants will grow in a (large) container

if you go 10 gallon or more you can pretty much grow ant strain in container. had 7 foot plants in home depot buckets last season.

I like the ability to move them in bad weather in pots. We get alot of typhoons in Japan, or rain that beats down in June, so moving them is good

Bottom line, as others have said, you can grow anything in containers...it just depends on how much effort/money you want to spend...it looks like you have about 53 plants you want to grow...if you already have your containers and the soil to go in them, then I would grow in containers...I would also add an automated "fertigation" system so you can adjust the amount of water/nutrients the plants get...

If you don't have a good start on container growing, I would suggest growing in the ground and during the year (if you want to switch to containers), collect needed supplies for next year...

I grow the majority of my plants in containers...most 5 gallon nursery and some 25 gallon feed containers and about 25 in a raised bed (which is really a BIG container)...I put 3-5 plants in the 25's...

If your soil makeup in your containers allow good drainage and do not stay soaked in the very bottom, you can get good growth/production...

6-7 foot chinense are not uncommon during any given year...my annuums usually get 3-4 feet...all load up on pods...check out some of my growlogs over the past couple of years and you can see my videos of my operation...

Hope this helps..

Bottom line, as others have said, you can grow anything in containers...it just depends on how much effort/money you want to spend...it looks like you have about 53 plants you want to grow...if you already have your containers and the soil to go in them, then I would grow in containers...I would also add an automated "fertigation" system so you can adjust the amount of water/nutrients the plants get...

If you don't have a good start on container growing, I would suggest growing in the ground and during the year (if you want to switch to containers), collect needed supplies for next year...

I grow the majority of my plants in containers...most 5 gallon nursery and some 25 gallon feed containers and about 25 in a raised bed (which is really a BIG container)...I put 3-5 plants in the 25's...

If your soil makeup in your containers allow good drainage and do not stay soaked in the very bottom, you can get good growth/production...

6-7 foot chinense are not uncommon during any given year...my annuums usually get 3-4 feet...all load up on pods...check out some of my growlogs over the past couple of years and you can see my videos of my operation...

Hope this helps..

Couldnt have said it better myself :) LOL ......Glad to see you back around AJ! Take ALL the advice this man can give you......you literally cant even BUY the kind of info AJ is ready to share with everyone! Straight up! :)

I agree that "anything" can be grown in containers, I myself have had types grow to over 8' and out the top of my shade structure in 4 gal buckets on a drip fertigation system last year. The setup grew absolutely MASSIVE Moruga & Brain Strain Red plants, and I also grew 7' tall Scorpions in 3 gal "cheater" nursery pots as well....it all comes down to nutrients and proper care really. As long as you have good drainage, steady doseages of nutrients, and good sun its hard to NOT have good production. Well as long as the pests stay away i mean :)

Just my Dos Pesos....

Dale Jr

I grow in container strictly because of bad weather. If it wasn't for that I would do them in ground. You can grow anything in a pot. So no... I wouldn't say "poorly"

Back