• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc inadvertent increases in heat?

Hello,

First post here ever. I have always loved hot peppers and got a jump on this season, ive currently got 110 plants that I am hardening off. I have no idea why I planted so many, but i was hell bent on getting a really good crop.

Anyway, my question centers around heat levels of peppers. I hear that if you have super hots growing near something more mild (jalapenos, etc), those mild peppers will become super hot as well. I want to avoid this. Is there any truth to this? How far apart should I plant my jalapenos from my morugas, reapers, etc?

Thanks

Yea thats not true at all. You can plant them in the same pot and it won't make the other hotter. The only way I could see where that might be true is if you saved seeds from the Jalapeno and ended up with a hybrid. But no, if you plant them next to each other it will not make your milds any hotter

Welcome! An growing to close make the mild ones hotter, no. Or at least never has with mine. I think what people mean is growing to close. They have the chances of cross pollinating. Meaning if you collected the seeds this year to grow next year. You stand a chance of getting a hydrid mix of the mild and superhot. Then mixing the two heat profiles and charateristics. Hope this helps. An good luck with your 2013 season.

EDIT: Coheed beat me to it. lol

A Habanero plant will always be a Habanero plant.

If you put a ghost pepper plant next to a habanero plant, then some of the ghost pepper flower pollen MIGHT get into the habanero's flower and MIGHT change the seed genetics. Peppers are self-pollinating so even if they're planted an inch apart they might not get pollinated by another plant. Some pepper types can't crossbreed with other pepper types, or they might be infertile etc. etc.

Basically only the genetic information in the seeds would be different, nothing would change about the plants that are already producing peppers.

If you plan on saving seeds just plant them like 3 feet away from each other.

Basically only the genetic information in the seeds would be different, nothing would change about the plants that are already producing peppers.

If you plan on saving seeds just plant them like 3 feet away from each other.

Actually to prevent cross pollination, it's more like a mile apart. Or isolate the plants. Just because peppers are self pollinating doesn't mean an insect can't pollinate another flower.

Back