• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Increasing capsaicin content

Bear with me, I'm a bit of a rambler.

So I was poking around about jasmonic acid (methyl jasmonate, MeJa), in regards to increasing essential oil and terpene content (you can guess in reference to what plant), a somewhat common method among tinkerer-growers to add value and increase extract margins, and came across this article.

Induction of capsaicinoid synthesis in Capsicum chinense cell cultures by salicylic acid or methyl jasmonate

Granted, this was performed with tissue cell cultures, and not in the field. If nothing else, read the introduction, where it states habaneros are "the hottest of all peppers". :rofl: I thought perhaps it was an article from the 90s, but it was produced in 2010. I think superhots have not reached the scientific community with much force.... The interesting point though, is the increase in capsaicinoids through the application of salicylic acid (SA) at 500 uM, or 70ppm, assuming the amount of solvent (water) used is one litre (weak assumption). Feel free to correct that.

Poking around a bit more

Found an interesting mention here, by semillas, and have contacted him for more information. I can find no support otherwise, but am interested in his response. He kinda looks like Malkovich, if that's him in the avvy. I am wondering if the increase in capsaicinods is simply a plant response to being soaked in pureed insects (chitin? but you'd think the result would be chitinase). There was reference to the thread being a joke... ? I'm hoping more in regard to the purported SuperHot Beast than to this method.

AlabamaJack mentioned Putrescine here and here, for reference, the abstract from NCBI. Both threads devolved into ribbery, not much to work with. I suppose if I said dick farts, this thread might wander off in to obscurity. Phallic flatulence. Can you imagine? The abstract references a solution concentration of Putrescine at 0.1mmol/L (0.1ppm), available here and elsewhere.

Enrichment of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere increases the capsaicinoids content in Habanero peppers (Capsicum chinense Jacq.)

Basically, a test of growth characteristics under increased CO2 concentrations. At 1140 ppm (I think), an increase of 27% capsaicinoids, resulting from increased plant metabolism during capsaicin production (more of that thinking, immature fruit was uneffected).

Influence of methyl jasmonate and salicylic acid in the enhancement of capsaicin production in cell suspension cultures of Capsicum frutescens

This one stretches my current knowledge level, mentally stumbling over short walls and such, but if my reading is correct, and again this is in vitro, the gains with salicylic acid are temporary?

As well, I found a post from Jedisushi here referencing similar research form Chili Pepper Pete, and will contact him to see if he is amicable to sharing information. Perhaps yes, probably no. Apparently he passed away, so that'll be interesting...

Heading out the door, and trying to wrap this up. There is reference here to a patent filed for a formulation to increase capsaicinoids, using fungal extracts, SA and MeJa.

The main limiting factor is genetics (re: no amount of SA/MeJa/etc., is going to turn a habanero into a Reaper). As far as potential applications, some vendors are interested in selling the hottest peppers available, or skewing the results for the hottest pepper, my interest is more academic/colon burning. It will be a few years before I can remove my influence as a grower from any testing, or have room for enough plants to provide adequate results. At the very least for your chili/pothead hybrid, it seems easy enough to throw fruiting potted plants into flower room walkways, to take advantage of the CO2.

Interesting? Thoughts?

Great bit of reading there. I'm extremely interested in ensuring that the peppers I do grow actually reach their potential and be consistent. I'm going to brows the links a bit and do some digging on this as well. Thanks for doing the initial digging!

Neil

Heyo, well at least one person is interested :dance:

Look forward to any result, I'll keep poking around. I've got a contact from Miranda at CPP, ideally something turns up.

Edit:

I did get a response, turns out it was Jon Harper. Which meant absolutely nothing to me at the time, until I just figured out he = Bubblegum 7 Pot. Nothing really concrete in the reply, just a nudge towards the idea that he had tried a number of methods, presumably to no real end.

One thing mentioned that caught my interest and has distracted me immensely, was his statement that artificial lighting produces less pungent peppers. I could't find anything to directly support this initially, but have since found some very good reading concerning the effect of artificial lighting on secondary metabolism. I can mention this here without fear of harm, but if this were ICmag, hoards of pitchfork waving torch wielding unwashed mobs would be surging towards my house.

Link

Mostly regarding HPS lighting, and actually gives more credibility to the growing use of LEP as supplementary lighting.

Elicitation of capsaicin production in freely suspended cells and immobilized cell cultures of Capsicum frutescens

Highlights xanthan and curdlan as stimulants to capsaicin production, greater efficacy used in conjunction.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1079/IVP2005708

Stimulating overall capsaicin production by application of the root components in its biosynthesis.

Back