• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Indiana_Jesse Grow Log 2012

Hopefully this one will be a great deal better than 2011! My growlist changes daily, so I may or may not periodically update it for my own entertainment.

C. frutescens (Mexican Bird/Pequin de Vera Cruz) overwintering indoors, this spring will be its third growing season.
Mexbird2012feb.jpg

Thai Red
thai.jpg

Aji Amarillo at home
amarillo2H.jpg

Aji Panca at home
PancaH.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnets at Greenhouse
Scotchbonnet2.jpg

Scotchbonnet1.jpg

Aji Amarillo in Greenhouse
amarillogh1top.jpg

amarillo2GH.jpg

Aji Panca in greenhouse
panca2GH.jpg

pancaGH.jpg

Hey Jesse - really nice looking plants. Your over winters really look happy :)
I hope you'll share some of your secrets!
Paul

Hey Jesse - really nice looking plants. Your over winters really look happy :)
I hope you'll share some of your secrets!
Paul

Thanks! The photos make them look happier/better than they are, at least the ones at home. I just brought them in before it got too cold outside and put them in front of my west facing windows and treated them like all my other houseplants. No drastic pruning on these guys, I do some pruning before putting them back out in May. The bird pepper starts growing/producing again after the winter solstice(sp?) and probably could easily be kept as a houseplant year round. The greenhouse chiles are happy because they are in a climate controlled greenhouse! The lab tech that works there has kindly allowed me to use about a square meter space at the end of a bench for my own personal use! A lot cheaper than buying lights!

My potential grow list as of 2/4/12

For Patio:
Serrano (Huasteco)
Mexican Bird Pepper (OW)
Pequin de San Luis
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Aji Panca
Aribibi Gusano
Kaleidoscope
Aji Amarillo
Thai Red (OW)
Datil
Rocotillo
Aji Dulce de Venezuela (#2)
Trinidad Perfume
Jalapeno Mitla Hybrid and/or TAM Vera Cruz
Habanero (Orange)

For the Garden as of 2/4/12
Each line represents a row
Serrano (Hidalgo, Tampiqueno, Huasteco)
Jalapeno (M, Zapoteca, Mitla, Vera Cruz)
Guajillo, Aji Panca
Mulato, Chilhuacle Negro, Chilhuacle Amarillo
De Arbol, Numex Mirasol, Purira
Kaleidoscope, Rocotillo, Aji Dulce #2, Trinidad Perfume
Cubanela(Key West), Red Bell(Red Knight), Yellow Bell(Yellow Sunsation)
Bahamian Goat, Scotch Bonnet Yellow, Aji Limo Rojo, Datil, Faria
Aji Amarillo, Criolla Sella, Aji Chinchi Amarillo
Guarmal, Guyana, Aji Angelo, El Oro de Ecuador, Queen Laurie, other Misc.

Thanks! The photos make them look happier/better than they are, at least the ones at home. I just brought them in before it got too cold outside and put them in front of my west facing windows and treated them like all my other houseplants. No drastic pruning on these guys, I do some pruning before putting them back out in May.
You make it sound easy! Interesting grow list - some there I'm not familiar with.
Can't wait to see photos!

Here are some great finds from one of our local Mexican grocery stores (La Tapatia). The chile manzano was huge and in perfect condition (haven't eaten it yet though). The jalapenos were absolutely amazing, it is awesome being able to get ripe HOT jalapenos in March! They were the hottest I've had in a LONG time, even hotter than home grown ones! The checking was awesome too. Who knows if they are hybrids or not, I saved the seeds anyway and planted a couple yesterday. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

manzano2.jpg

manzano5.jpg

LaTapJals1.jpg

LaTapJal1.jpg

Beautiful pods! the jalapeno look like the heirloom Zapotec offered by Peppermania. I have a few started--I hope they turn out as hot and beauty as those.
peppermania Zapotec

P.S. the Huasteco you sent are up and running. Great germination rate!

:cool:

I bought some Zapotec jalapenos as well last month, hopefully they will be just like those pictured. These jalapenos had to be over 20,000 scovilles, they rivaled serranos in heat! If I could consistently have jalapenos like this, they would be my favorite chile! I'm not sure if any hybrids have been created with "checking" like these, so I think there may be a good chance they are OP (not hybrid).

Glad to hear the Huasteco are doing well

3/6/12 started (+ = good germination, +/- = 50/50 germination, - = little or no germination)
Gundu Red +
Pinguita de Mono +
Aruna +
Jwala +
Phuljadi +
Criolla Sella -
Aji Dulce #2 -
Rocotillo +/-
Trinidad Perfume +
Orange Habanero -
Thai Bird -
Datil +/-
Aribibi Gusano +
Serrano Huasteco +
Limo Rojo +

3/20 started
Jalapeno TAM Vera Cruz
Jalapeno Zapotec
Jalapeno Mitla Hybrid
Jalapeno M
Jalapeno La Tapatia (seeds from pods bought at grocer)
Chilhuacle Negro
Ancho Mulato
Guajillo
Mirasol NUMEX
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hidalgo
De Arbol
Aruna
Jwala
Thai Bird
Phuljadi
Thai Red
Bell Early Sunsation Hybrid
Bell Red Knight Hybrid
Cubanelle Key West Hybrid

Also, over the last few weeks I have NOT resisted temptation and started Bhut Jolokia red, Orange Scotch Bonnet from La Tapatia, Bahamian Goat, Aji Maleza de Cabra (Goat's Weed), 7 pot Primo, 7 pot "Brain Strain", Choc. Bhut Jolokia, CARDI yellow Scorpion, more Aribibi Gusano, and Congo Red from Kroger. I thought I wasn't going to do any "superhots" this season, or go overboard with chinensis, but.......!

Your babies are really pretty, Jesse, and a very nice choice of varieties (You and I have a lot of overlap in our lists). Those Jals really do look like the Zaptec, with all that corking...I've got 12 little Zapotec plants going myself, and they are growing "to beat the band", as my Meemaw used to say...

Good luck on your grow this year!

A new surprise at my favorite supermercado, frozen Aji rocoto and Aji escabeche (amarillo) from Peru! Went ahead a made some Papas a la Huancaina last night. Can't wait until I have fresh amarillos. I finally get to try a red rocoto! I have had Chile Manzano (yellow) before.

HI Jesse
How is your grow going? I'm particularly interested in the Chilhuacle Negro. I got a couple of packets of seeds for that variety this spring, but don't have enough space for them this year. Next year definitely... and your input would be most appreciated. Cheers

HI Jesse
How is your grow going? I'm particularly interested in the Chilhuacle Negro. I got a couple of packets of seeds for that variety this spring, but don't have enough space for them this year. Next year definitely... and your input would be most appreciated. Cheers

I've never grown/tried them before. I have three small plants growing well right now in the greenhouse at work. They seem rather robust so far as they are one of the few varieities the thrips seem to let be, which is interesting in itself. I'll update later in the year.

They seem rather robust so far as they are one of the few varieities the thrips seem to let be, which is interesting in itself. I'll update later in the year.
I was leafing through the Johnny's Seeds of Maine catalog, and saw a variety of mulch films listed in the back. The one that may pertain is the metallic silver mulch. It looks like aluminized mylar like what's sold to wrap christmas presents, but it's black on one side. They say that in addition to retaining moisture and suppressing weeds, it disorients and repels thrips, aphids, flea beetles and white flies and causes the canopy of the plants set in it to absorb more light (reflected back up from the ground) resulting in up to 20 percent increase in crop yields for certain crops, such as peppers. The flip side is that it cools down the soil about 6 degrees farenheit. Probably not a good idea to use it in early spring and summer, but from July 4th onward, maybe so. Cheers

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7885-metallic-silver-mulch-4-x-50.aspx

I sure have neglected my glog! Things have gone quite well despite the drought and extreme heat we had for most of the spring/summer. August has been very kind to the chile/aji garden. Maybe someday I'll get some pics up? Either way I think I will pop in and give a review of a aji or two now and then with or without pics. I'll start with my biggest surprise:

Aji Pinguita de Mono
I got these seeds from Rainbow Chili Seeds. I expected it to be not much different than a small bird pepper or tabasco type. Boy was I wrong! Nice compact plant with beautiful flowers (lavender edge on petals). The pods look like miniature jalapenos and are VERY fragrant like a good green chile smell but concentrated. The flavor was like a jalapeno on steroids, and the heat was up there with the tabasco. I will definitely overwinter this plant and grow a few more next season for pickling, freezing, and drying. Seems like a very versatile aji. Quite prolific too. The name of the pepper is a good conversation starter too. I should mention that the name is applied to several small pointy red ripening ajies, some are annuum, some are frutescens, and some may even be baccatums, so results may vary depending on source.

Nice looking plants and pods. Can't believe I missed this fellow hoosier glog.

How close are you to the wildcat creek? Some nice smallmouth and walleye in there.

Nice looking plants and pods. Can't believe I missed this fellow hoosier glog.

How close are you to the wildcat creek? Some nice smallmouth and walleye in there.

Easy to miss my Glog as I failed to update it all summer!

I think I'm about 20 minutes or so from the Wildcat Creek.

Back