• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor growing VS outdoor growing

Indoors has the benefit of easier pest control and more control over your environment (soil etc.). Last season I was worried about a hurricane causing wind damage and flooding to my peppers! I dug huge trenches around my plots, lol. The plants were protected by trees surrounding it and the hurricane barely hit us. It was suppose to hit us straight on! One year a tree fell on our garden from northeaster! Hopefully no hurricanes hit this year and the northeasters don't cause too much damage. We also had a terrible heat wave, but my plants did ok. I had some issues with aphids outside (I killed them by hands) Artifical lights don't beat the sun. They grow much faster in the sun. Most people also have issues with space indoors (I do). Indoors your plants get mold more easily.

I think indoor pests are more of a challenge than outdoor.

Indoor you can contol temp and moisture better.

I prefer outside growing because I find it easier. The only problem with growing outside is that you do not have control of the weather. Normally it is not a problem but as Dulac pointed out big storms can be stressful. Sometimes one big storm can decimate your garden. You can control more variables indoors but I always run out of room and find myself shuffling plants around so they can receive proper lighting. I also plant my plants in the ground. This generally gives me some wiggle room in terms of watering. If I forget or am busy I can usually put it off watering until the following day. Sometimes my pots inside dry out too quickly.

Last year I started the seedlings inside under a HPS lamp (was all I had easy access to, I know its not ideal for the younger plants) and I kept them there until I thought they were ready to put re-potted and put outside. Heres a load of photos from last year if you're interested : http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff485/Matty_891/2011%20Season/

Starting them off with the light really helped me play catch up as I didn't even have any seeds untill the start of May, it was also very easy to control the environment surrounding the plants, but the major downside (which Josh just pointed out) and the reason I had to move them outside was because of limited space.

If only I had a spare room to turn into a grow room :cool: if I could keep them inside all season long, I think I would!

Just like they all said, indoor growing allows you to take control over what the plant gets. However, I think the biggest advantage to outdoor growing is that you have a free source of heat and light, the sun! I mean, assuming that you're not growing indoors next to the window..

Back