• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor Plant Help

Hello to all you gardening gurus. I have tried overwintering my peppers for years with somewhat limited success. This year, for various reasons,  I never got them down stairs to limited lite but left them on the main floor with an east facing window. 7 of the 9 plants are sprouting and growing lots of leaves. A few even are starting to flower. I really don't want this happening as I won't be able to put them outdoors for another 3 months. (I live in Southern Ontario) What can I do to slow these down so that I will be able to move them out in May 

Any help would be appreciated

I would pull the flowers but leave the plants near the windows.  I don't think that the sunlight coming in form the window will be enough to produce peppers.  Why not just leave them as is and let them grow as much as they can before you plant out.  If they become root-bound then they will just stop growing.

Make sure you rotate the plants. Otherwise they might tip over.

@dragon, Is it a bad thing that I recognized that avatar immediately?

cruzzfish said:
Make sure you rotate the plants. Otherwise they might tip over.

@dragon, Is it a bad thing that I recognized that avatar immediately?
Good point curzzfish - Also, as the leaves will bend towards the sunlight, it will be healthier for the plant to to get strong by bending in different directions as you rotate it. 

Good catch on my avatar - I need a vice, as I no longer imbibe this stuff:

Although, I am thinking about "going back on the juice.!"

dragon49 said:
Good point curzzfish - Also, as the leaves will bend towards the sunlight, it will be healthier for the plant to to get strong by bending in different directions as you rotate it. 

Good catch on my avatar - I need a vice, as I no longer imbibe this stuff:

Although, I am thinking about "going back on the juice.!"
Closest thing I can get from that one is an alcohol of some sort.

OP, do you have lights of any sort that you could move up there? Or any south facing windows?

Thanks guys. I will cut all the buds off. I did rotate them this am, I will keep on that. Hopefully they are still going in three months. That will be a good start.
Thanks Again

cruzzfish said:
Closest thing I can get from that one is an alcohol of some sort.

OP, do you have lights of any sort that you could move up there? Or any south facing windows?
Do you think I need lites? I do have my grow lites I use in the basement that I could bring up.
Seeing as I have 3 more months at least, should I put them under lites yet?
Also, no south facing window that I could utilize. East is the best I can do.
Thanks

Hophead said:
What lights do you have? HID,LED,fluorescent?

What are you feeding those plants?
Hi Hophead, I have regular fluorescent grow lites. 1 fixture with 2 X 4' tubes. I haven't fed the plants at all. Just an occasional watering. Really didn't want them getting too big too soon.

Back