• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor setup?

Hello everybody! Last summer I tried growing jalapeños and it went horribly wrong, they ended up fried to a crisp when I bought the miracle gro fertilizer stakes. Seemed like they poisoned my peppers or something, not sure 100% there.

This year I am going to try to grow them indoors in my new apartment! Unfortunately space is very limited so I am having a rather difficult time thinking of something, I was hoping to have 20-30 plants if possible.

My idea was to get an old bookshelf from somewhere and use red solo cups until they got larger. I tried finding a way to hang lights inside the bookcase on the bottoms of each shelf so I would have a four tiered growing setup. My budget is also fairly low but soon hopefully I will be getting a raise!

Once they outgrow the space I would give most of them to friends and family or try to make room, honestly I need a yard if I am going to grow many plants, although several will fit on the balcony. I am not sure about enough sunlight unfortunately. Growing the peppers is an experience I enjoy :) even last year they were only two months or so old when they passed. I enjoy watching them grow and watering pruning and feeding the peppers! Eating would be a plus but I understand my limited space.

All advice for growing indoors in a small area is appreciated! Would my bookcase idea be possible, or would that prove to be too difficult? Any type of tiered growing setup would be a good idea in my book.

Thanks for the help guys! Cheers to a good year growing!

Hi there I found with my Jalapeños feeding them ...Less is more ...they don't like to many nutrients 
I Had great results on my Tobascos with A balcony tipe setup

Van said:
Hi there I found with my Jalapeños feeding them ...Less is more ...they don't like to many nutrients 
I Had great results on my Tobascos with A balcony tipe setup
Unfortunately I only fed them one time, two days after I planted the fertilizer spikes they were fried. Poor peppers :(

I live on a bottom floor apartment and my patio has a privacy fence so they would get minimal direct sunlight unless anybody has any ideas for that.

I plan on keeping my chosen plants at the end of the grow on the patio and hoping its enough light!

My first season was a balcony grow. It didnt have a fence to block the sun, but it did have an overhang and a wall that prevented most of the direct sun, they got maybe 2 hours of direct sun, mostly late afternoon and they did fairly well. At most, if they can get some indirect light and the temps are fine, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

My one add in for advice for the cabinet grow - coming from experience - start thinking about what it will take to keep it around 78 degrees in there with the lights on for a while.

Definitely test and retest before putting the plants in there.

Ok, one more piece, use small circulatory fans to keep the humidity in check.

Back