• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Inexpensive Grow Setup?

Hey, I need a really Inexpensive grow setup (strapped for cash :( ). So far I've been growing my plants in a window facing south in a large closet. Growing has been way too slow! However, the plants are healthy, but I worry about the superhots that I will be germinating next week. I'm wondering if anyone knows an inexpensive setup for light fixtures and type of lights. I'm not sure what else would be needed. It's quite warm in there, especially during the day. But I wonder what people use to heat up their plants. It's my first year growing indoors. I used to just sow seeds when the weather was good, but I want much bigger plants this season.

Are you planing to water by hand and just use the light as a sun source? As opposed to an automated system.

Apart from the more expensive lights (HPS, MH) I've used high wattage CFL grow lights with less than terrible results.
example: http://www.growell.co.uk/sun-mate-grow-cfl-reflector.html
You don't need a ballast. Just plug and go.
I have a 130w (I think) one of these in my wardrobe (1x.5m approx) for starting seedlings.
You'd probably need some bottom heat in conjunction with lights like this to get good germination rates. eg. Heat mat, heated water.. both inexpensive.

how many seeds are you going to start ?

Are you planing to water by hand and just use the light as a sun source? As opposed to an automated system.

Apart from the more expensive lights (HPS, MH) I've used high wattage CFL grow lights with less than terrible results.
example: http://www.growell.c...-reflector.html
You don't need a ballast. Just plug and go.
I have a 130w (I think) one of these in my wardrobe (1x.5m approx) for starting seedlings.
You'd probably need some bottom heat in conjunction with lights like this to get good germination rates. eg. Heat mat, heated water.. both inexpensive.

I don't want an automated system except for the light cycle. A timer on the light would be nice. I want to supplement the sunlight I get in this large closet with some lights. For germination, I plan to just stick them in papper towels with a ziplock bag and place them in the sun. I'm going to do without the heat mat. The heat here should be fine. It gets hot in my room and closet. Next season I will have more cash to spend on heat mats and other things. I'm more so worried about the seedlings being slow and the plants.

how many seeds are you going to start ?

I have about 30 seedlings right now (bunch with some true leaves). I have two plants that have grown very slowly, lol. They were the first I germinated and then kept adding more. They are a bit on the pale green side but are doing ok. I think I will have about 30 more I will germinate.

Edit:

Oh, did you mean to just start your plants inside to be moved outdoors?

Yeah, I can move them to my former college's greenhouse (it is a bit old and it's too cold atm for it I think). I have a lot of space to grow at my college's garden. Most will be moved there and a few will be potted and on my patio.

Edit again: Ahh, looks like I posted this in the wrong section. I'm really sorry about that! I was reading that section and the EcoSmart 5000k mentioned by someone is in my price range (real cheap, lol). I probably need a fan too. Are heated fans any good? I saw one at a thriftstore and almost picked it up. It was about 7 dollars.

I have about 30 seedlings right now (bunch with some true leaves). I have two plants that have grown very slowly, lol. They were the first I germinated and then kept adding more. They are a bit on the pale green side but are doing ok. I think I will have about 30 more I will germinate.

Edit:

Yeah, I can move them to my former college's greenhouse (it is a bit old and it's too cold atm for it I think). I have a lot of space to grow at my college's garden. Most will be moved there and a few will be potted and on my patio.

In that case you'd probably get away with a simple fluro tube in a box and some kind of heat source.

Have a look at the first post in this thread.

for your initial grow, you need a warm place (~80F) and good strong light...probably at least 1500 lumens/ft[sup]2 [/sup]to promote good growth.

your cheapest solution is a 4' shoplight fixture or two (or 3) side by side. Use a mixture of 4100K and 6500K bulbs...I use this setup in my slow grow area...three shoplights side by side will cover an area 20" X 48" and will give you ~ 1700 lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup]. You should be able to find the fixtures for about $10 each and the bulbs will be about $3-4 each.

this setup will handle 72 seedlings in 3.5" square containers.

if you can find a one hundred dollar bill a better alternative is a 6 light vanity light bar from Home Depot (19.95) and 6 42 watt CFLs...the CFLs are about $13 each

I would not use a heated fan unless you have a thermostat hooked up to it...don't want to cook them...

Ronnie how big an area does that 6 bulb vanity light cover?

Those 42 watt cfls are 10.97 each at the Depot. I am in one right now.

your cheapest solution is a 4' shoplight fixture or two (or 3) side by side. Use a mixture of 4100K and 6500K bulbs...I use this setup in my slow grow area...three shoplights side by side will cover an area 20" X 48" and will give you ~ 1700 lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup]. You should be able to find the fixtures for about $10 each and the bulbs will be about $3-4 each.

i have 2 shoplight fixture like AJ told (very cheap) that i installad in my small greenhouse (in my basement) that is closed with that i can fire a ot of seeds and plants and the growing factor is great.
the light fixture itself give plenty of heat for the plants (stays in the 25Celcius easily)

take a look at that!
IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

Ok it's pretty simple but those 4 feet fluo fixture is very common and cheap!
dont cost too much on the electric bill and dosent bring too much heat.

you could just put 2 fixture and make a box around it with cardboard and some reflective stuff to augment the "light"
(aluminum foil does agreat job)

2' X 4'

I got my CFLs on line...anyway...the CFLs you are looking at are probably 2700K...I use three of them and 3 6500K that you can't get in most hardware stores...

nice hammerfall....I like that....

The ones at the local depot are 3000k.

What does "k" measure?

Have you seen the big 68 watt cfl at the depot. It is huge.

you can have "more blue shade light" aroung 6500K and more yellow tint fluo (around 4100K)

The "K" is the light sprectrum emited by the fluo...

plants needs different spectrum of light (the sun emits a very large spectrum covering all the "band" of light (even invisible one...)

plants need something around 4300 (i think) and 6500 also... so if you can use 2 different fluo in the ficture it's better!

i have a 4100 and a 6500 and works VERY VERY good!

The ones at the local depot are 3000k.

What does "k" measure?

Have you seen the big 68 watt cfl at the depot. It is huge.

ok ,I couldn't remember if they were 2700 or 3000...K is just another way of expressing the color of the light vs the wavelength in nM scientist use...

haven't seen the 68er...probably too big for my purposes...to much "compact" light IMO...or at least that's my initial impression..

Thanks. What do you think about a heated fan? I'm sure that thing is still at the thriftstore for 7 bucks, hehe.

As AJ said ^^ You'd want to be careful using a coil heater.

You can pick up a heat mat for a little more (not much) and it would be far more reliable.

cool...I have been wanting to do this for a while and just got around to it..

here is a color chart showing kelvin and nM...

Kelvin-NMColorChart.png
chloroabs.gif

you will have to take another chart that shows chlorophyll a and b absorption bands...basically for the CFLs we can get, around 3000K and 6500K are your best bets IMO...

Back