• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Inexpensive low-pressure aeroponics system design

OCD Chilehead said:
Very cool vid. Nice build.
Thanks!
PepperWeston said:
Thanks For Sharing Very Interesting! You d=for sure can't beat the price. :)
Thanks. The pump I use is a little overkill. You could probably get by fine with a 210 gph pump, those you can get on Amazon I think for around 9.00. That would get the price down even more. There is a YouTube viewer who commented that he is going to try it with that size pump. 

Any updates Peter?
I put some ex-soil plants into the indoor setup to convert them over to aero. After 2 days:

g6JHGZd.jpg

Tank said:
Any updates Peter?
I put some ex-soil plants into the indoor setup to convert them over to aero. After 2 days:

g6JHGZd.jpg

Wow! That's awesome. I'm coming up on two weeks since the last update. It's still growing well, and roots look great. It appears to be drinking at a faster rate, almost twice as fast as the first two weeks. The pH is still creeping up, but last time I filled it, it came back down to a safe level.  I'll post a video/photo update probably on Sunday. I haven't done anything yet as far as blocking light to the res, so I plan to do fix that on Sunday too. I'll probably swap it out with another one that is covered in black plastic, with a flap to access the sight glass. 

I wouldnt worry about the ph rise too much, the faster uptake and more frequent top ups will offset it. Best get the lightproofing done before the roots get too bulky to switch out the lid :)

Tank said:
I wouldnt worry about the ph rise too much, the faster uptake and more frequent top ups will offset it. Best get the lightproofing done before the roots get too bulky to switch out the lid :)
I got the lightproofing done last night. Have a video ready, will upload after work today. Hopefully I can leave this going for a while now without disturbing the roots.

That looked fairly painless, its easier getting the roots out than back in :) The blackout should fix the algae issue but i`d keep an eye on the water temperature for a day or two just in case it picks up more heat.

quick update on soil to aero root conversion, more white roots than brown now
KpGOsH8.jpg

Tank said:
That looked fairly painless, its easier getting the roots out than back in :) The blackout should fix the algae issue but i`d keep an eye on the water temperature for a day or two just in case it picks up more heat.

quick update on soil to aero root conversion, more white roots than brown now
KpGOsH8.jpg
Wow! Those roots look nice. I'll keep check on the temp. I maybe should have painted white over the black, hopefully being in the basement, heat won't be an issue. I'm going to have to move it down from the light soon anyway, leaves are getting too close like Icarus.

I dont think it`ll be a problem in a nice cool basement. If anything it`ll only be the lid which is easily fixed with a piece of mylar or some b/w poly.  The plants  have another week of luxury then they`re off outside.

Looks good. I want to build a big scale system. Need to do more research. I want a couple hundred plants at once. Not full size. Just starters. Maybe only a month in the system. Thanks for all the info.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good. I want to build a big scale system. Need to do more research. I want a couple hundred plants at once. Not full size. Just starters. Maybe only a month in the system. Thanks for all the info.
Thanks!  Please post how yours does when you set it up.

Peter S said:
Thanks!  Please post how yours does when you set it up.
Yes, will do. As soon as things calm down around here, I'm going to find the time, to build my COB light's. Then the grow room. I probably won't build the system until Winter. I'm going to try and keep some OW's. Just coming up with idea's for now.

Here's an update showing the roots. So far plant growth is good, roots have grown down to the bottom and wrapped around the pump. I need to work on a support system at some point.

https://youtu.be/jv50uXwiwDs

Back