• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Info on 7 Pot Gravedigger

Can anyone provide some info about the development of the 7 Pot Gravedigger?  I recently bought some 7 Pot Gravedigger seeds for next season, but I have had zero luck finding anything about this variety.

Only info I found was a youtube clip for a 'Gravedigger F2', which seems to be a different pepper entirely (a red Moruga Scorpion x ?), and a post on a Czech pepper forum that says it was developed in the USA.

Thanks!

Yeah...I'll admit that I bought the seeds because of the name.   ;)

My seed supplier thought it was a Chocolate Ghost x 7-Pot Douglah.  He was going to check his notes.  If he finds out I will post more info.

I'm also waiting for someone to develop the 7-Pot Gravedigger Billy.  I'd buy seeds for that too.

gravediggerbilly_dig_holes_for_no_reason_active_image_25.png

I got these seeds from Atlantic Pepper Seeds, located in New Brunswick, Canada. Their website is www.pepperseeds.ca.

If you could share the Russian link I would be interested in seeing it, as I was trying to find out who initially developed this variety (just curious).

I found out that Atlantic Pepper Seeds probably got their Gravedigger seeds from White Hot Peppers, who got their Gravedigger seeds from an online store called Too Many Seeds (now shut down). But I couldn't find any info beyond that.

Hmm, they shouldn't really name them until they're stable. Should just call it Chocolate Bhut Jolokia x 7-Pot Primo or an acronym of the cross. Hardly developed unless passed f5. Has more bhut than 7 pot in it, lol.

They also have a "variety" called "7 pot Oracle". It says this:

A new 7-pot variety that just might be the worlds next hottest. With a SHU over 2,000,000+ But has not yet been tested  but has already been tested with the milk  technique. Plants grow very  prolifically with very high yields. Pods have a little sweetness to them.

I hope that they can be more accurate about their products and provide better information. Milk technique? Just say what the parents are, their generation, and tell us you're guessing based off the parents.

edit: I noticed they also added 7 pot before 7JPN I originally crossed, which has no purple in the photo. 7JPN = 7 pot Jonah x Pimenta de Neyde, lol. No mention of what generation it's on :(

I think it's cool crosses are sold, but information about them needs to be provided.

Yes, I agree. But a fancy name sells product. It worked on me...LOL. Actually I had seen 7-Pot Gravedigger on other people's grow lists, so I thought it was a well known variety. Only after buying did I find that there was very limited info.

I notice that seed stores tend to borrow/share their variety descriptions too. So if a description is lacking in one store, then it's probably lacking in most of them...which makes it harder to track down details.

I don't think 7 Pot Oracle was created by Atlantic Pepper Seeds. Usually they mention if it's an APS variety in the description. I don't think APS is a big outfit, so I give them credit for offering the number of varieties that they do... especially here in Canada.

Reactions: Bou
Kristian_S said:
I got these seeds from Atlantic Pepper Seeds, located in New Brunswick, Canada. Their website is www.pepperseeds.ca.

If you could share the Russian link I would be interested in seeing it, as I was trying to find out who initially developed this variety (just curious).

I found out that Atlantic Pepper Seeds probably got their Gravedigger seeds from White Hot Peppers, who got their Gravedigger seeds from an online store called Too Many Seeds (now shut down). But I couldn't find any info beyond that.

Here you go.

http://www.garlicfarm.ru/catalog/seeds/hot-peppers/ostrii-perets-7-pot-gravedigge/

I grabbed my seeds for this variety from Texas Hot Peppers.  I don't really need to buy seeds anymore, but all my stuff has been renewed enough for storage and want some variety this year.  Figured why not try some.

Dulac said:
Hmm, they shouldn't really name them until they're stable. Should just call it Chocolate Bhut Jolokia x 7-Pot Primo or an acronym of the cross. Hardly developed unless passed f5. Has more bhut than 7 pot in it, lol.

They also have a "variety" called "7 pot Oracle". It says this:

I hope that they can be more accurate about their products and provide better information. Milk technique? Just say what the parents are, their generation, and tell us you're guessing based off the parents.

edit: I noticed they also added 7 pot before 7JPN I originally crossed, which has no purple in the photo. 7JPN = 7 pot Jonah x Pimenta de Neyde, lol. No mention of what generation it's on :(

I think it's cool crosses are sold, but information about them needs to be provided.

I actually got the 7-Pot Oracle confused with the more well documented 7-Pot Infinity.  I can't find any background for the 7-Pot Oracle either.

The links/info that alkhall and boutros provided are for a red variety of 7-Pot Gravedigger, while the seeds I got are supposed to be a brown/black pepper...so again not very clear.

Kristian_S said:

I actually got the 7-Pot Oracle confused with the more well documented 7-Pot Infinity.  I can't find any background for the 7-Pot Oracle either.

The links/info that alkhall and boutros provided are for a red variety of 7-Pot Gravedigger, while the seeds I got are supposed to be a brown/black pepper...so again not very clear.

Why not ask Jason from APS directly? He seems like a nice guy, pretty sure he will gladly give you all the information he have about the 7-Pot Gravedigger and the 7-Pot Oracle...

Bou said:

Why not ask Jason from APS directly? He seems like a nice guy, pretty sure he will gladly give you all the information he have about the 7-Pot Gravedigger and the 7-Pot Oracle...

Jason was actually my source of the 7-Pot Gravedigger info.  :)  Yes, he's definitely a nice guy.  He's been a big help to me and has answered all of the questions by email that I've sent him.

Good idea...I can ask him if he has more info about the 7-Pot Oracle.

Reactions: Bou
Kristian_S said:

Jason was actually my source of the 7-Pot Gravedigger info.  :)  Yes, he's definitely a nice guy.  He's been a big help to me and has answered all of the questions by email that I've sent him.

Good idea...I can ask him if he has more info about the 7-Pot Oracle.

And don't forget to update this post with the infos you'll get from Jason as it might be usefull for other chiliheads someday!

Back