• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Info on 7 Pot Gravedigger

Bou said:

And don't forget to update this post with the infos you'll get from Jason as it might be usefull for other chiliheads someday!

I will do that.  I got the request sent off to Jason earlier today.

Reactions: Bou
Kristian_S said:
Yes, I agree. But a fancy name sells product. It worked on me...LOL. Actually I had seen 7-Pot Gravedigger on other people's grow lists, so I thought it was a well known variety. Only after buying did I find that there was very limited info.

I notice that seed stores tend to borrow/share their variety descriptions too. So if a description is lacking in one store, then it's probably lacking in most of them...which makes it harder to track down details.

I don't think 7 Pot Oracle was created by Atlantic Pepper Seeds. Usually they mention if it's an APS variety in the description. I don't think APS is a big outfit, so I give them credit for offering the number of varieties that they do... especially here in Canada.

It causes confusion. They look like they have potential. Maybe standards people can refer to would help vendors? They may be unaware of the problems this causes. I'd like to see them succeed since they appear to be a large independent vendor. Someone like myself wouldn't buy crosses without knowing the generation and parents.

White Hot Pepper does a pretty good job, but they need to make buyers aware that the 7JPN (7 pot Jonah x pimenta de Neyde) is unstable. I get questions about it. On the plus side, it's nice to see people interested in a cross I did. 

I've decided to only release stable seeds from my crosses and hybrids now to avoid confusion, and there are tons of crosses people can work with now. I may decide to also work on stabilizing some of the amazing crosses others have done so we can have new varieties. However, I don't regret spreading f2 7JPN seeds around 6 years ago.

Dulac said:

... need to make buyers aware that the 7JPN (7 pot Jonah x pimenta de Neyde) is unstable. I get questions about it. On the plus side, it's nice to see people interested in a cross I did. 

I'm one of them!! My 7JPN plant get darker and darker as it grows so it looks like patience could sometimes be the key. Just keep on doing things this way, I think you can't go wrong!

Bou said:

I'm one of them!! My 7JPN plant get darker and darker as it grows so it looks like patience could sometimes be the key. Just keep on doing things this way, I think you can't go wrong!

Oh, just for the record, I don't mind the questions. I just get concerned people think it's stable. Hope to see pics of the fruit you get! I wonder what gen it is. It's a much wider problem than this instance though. They should be named after selected for traits and stabilized. Luckily the cross is in the acronym name that stuck just like the SB7J. Think I might want to work on stabilizing the SB7J too. That's a nice pepper.

Dulac said:

Oh, just for the record, I don't mind the questions. I just get concerned people think it's stable. Hope to see pics of the fruit you get! I wonder what gen it is. 

No offense Ryan! and I'm never shy at asking questions;) I'm gonna send you pictures of the plant and peppers (if I get some!) at the end of the season so you'll be able to compare to whatever your standard is.

Jason at APS responded. I've summarized his info below:

The 7-Pot Oracle is an APS variety. It's a three-way cross of Reaper x Trinidad Scorpion Congo Red x Trinidad Scorpion SR Long. They had a few different outcomes from the cross and this one was selected mostly because of the interesting shape of the pods.

Happy growing! Let me know if you'd like me to ask Jason anything else about it.

Reactions: Bou
Kristian_S said:
Jason at APS responded. I've summarized his info below:

The 7-Pot Oracle is an APS variety. It's a three-way cross of Reaper x Trinidad Scorpion Congo Red x Trinidad Scorpion SR Long. They had a few different outcomes from the cross and this one was selected mostly because of the interesting shape of the pods.

Happy growing! Let me know if you'd like me to ask Jason anything else about it.

Is it stable or what filial is it? Neat mix.

Kristian_S said:
I don't think 7 Pot Oracle was created by Atlantic Pepper Seeds. Usually they mention if it's an APS variety in the description. I don't think APS is a big outfit, so I give them credit for offering the number of varieties that they do... especially here in Canada.
I would hold off on given them credit for anything. We are all used to seeing silly names,and they do move products,but after reading through maybe 25 varieties on their webpage I noticed that atleast half of those had improper spelling,naming and also completely inaccurate history. They aren't doing themselves or this hobby/industry any favors.

I've made and continue to make my fair share of mistakes,I'm not trying to act hollier than thou. Since you seem to be in contact with them,maybe you could encourage them to look over their site and atleast edit the obvious errors. Just a suggestion as you seem to be in contact with them regularly.

Having a couple years of experience growing chiles,I would not give them a single cent. And any new growers are going to consume and spread inaccuracies from their page. It will benefit their business and the hobby both.

I noticed the spelling mistakes on APS too... that said, back when Judy was the be all end all her site had tons of grammar errors. Drove me nuts but the seeds were champ.

Id be frustrated buying a brand new var without some indication of filial or at least a strong online presence either on the forums or pod tested on youtube. A lot of months go into a grow and if you only have space for one or two of that variety it sucks when the pheno is off. There should be warning.

Agree with dulac on the naming, its ridiculous. Canna has the same issue. A good pod doesnt need an out of nowhere name.. but the higher the heat the more creative people get to separate from a herd of similar phenos.

Looking forward to photos and a review in any case!

Man, there is a ton of new stuff out there. I gotta get back in the know.

Hey dulac, I remember seeing your posts years ago. If youre really interested in working with SB7J, a fav of mine, I think I have some older '13 and '14 seeds. Have to order stamps now that Im back but shoot me a pm if you like.

---side note 90s hip hop was the best hip hop---

AaronB said:
I noticed the spelling mistakes on APS too... that said, back when Judy was the be all end all her site had tons of grammar errors. Drove me nuts but the seeds were champ.

Id be frustrated buying a brand new var without some indication of filial or at least a strong online presence either on the forums or pod tested on youtube. A lot of months go into a grow and if you only have space for one or two of that variety it sucks when the pheno is off. There should be warning.

Agree with dulac on the naming, its ridiculous. Canna has the same issue. A good pod doesnt need an out of nowhere name.. but the higher the heat the more creative people get to separate from a herd of similar phenos.

Looking forward to photos and a review in any case!

Man, there is a ton of new stuff out there. I gotta get back in the know.

Hey dulac, I remember seeing your posts years ago. If youre really interested in working with SB7J, a fav of mine, I think I have some older '13 and '14 seeds. Have to order stamps now that Im back but shoot me a pm if you like.

---side note 90s hip hop was the best hip hop---

I'm interested in working on the SB7J with others. I will have to wait until next year though. It looks like mine from 13 are dead.

It would be interesting to see some photos and more information on the APS peppers here. People here can also help with stabilization if they're open to it. 

Back