Ingredients List

I have a recipe that i'm interested in perfecting and maybe bringing to my local farmers markets next summer. I use roasted garlic in my recipe and usually roast it with oil. I'm curious to the process of listing ingredients in a recipe. If the ingredient is used in a small amount for roasting is it necessary for it to be added to the ingredients list? I'm sure it may vary by state (in NJ) but I'm having trouble finding an answer on google. I know some people like to stay away from oils in food products so i'm considering dry roasting the garlic instead. 

It would be up to whoever you get licensed through and as you stated looking at farmers market, your local health district would be who to ask to start with.  They may refer you to a state agency if they don't do food processors.  Some local health districts only do restaurants and retail operations.

Anyway, ingredients have to be listed in decending order of predominance.  For the oil, you could list it as a separate ingredient from the garlic having the garlic listed first, then other ingredients and further down the list is olive oil, or combine the 2 and list it as "..., garlic roasted with olive oil,..."

Where I live in WA state, if selling directly to the customer at a FM, labels are not necessary.  Theory being is that the customer can talk to you directly and ask questions.  That being said, I dont' think I'd ever sell something without at least having an ingredients list on the bottle or whatever.   

Good luck with your project~
SL

salsalady said:
Where I live in WA state, if selling directly to the customer at a FM, labels are not necessary.  Theory being is that the customer can talk to you directly and ask questions.  That being said, I dont' think I'd ever sell something without at least having an ingredients list on the bottle or whatever.   

Yeah - to me that's more about allergens and whatnot. It's necessary with things people eat. I recently met someone allergic to garlic. Another to onions.  All of my sauces to date have garlic and onions. They couldn't try any.

I lost a couple of sales, but also avoided a tragedy with one of the more rare food allergies. 

I don't know what I'd do if I were allergic to garlic. I could never eat again. lol 

Yep. Playing golf next to a field where onions were being harvested was enough to make him sick. Eating a dip mix that had dehydrated onion put him on the stool for a day plus.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

Yeah - to me that's more about allergens and whatnot. It's necessary with things people eat. I recently met someone allergic to garlic. Another to onions.  All of my sauces to date have garlic and onions. They couldn't try any.

I lost a couple of sales, but also avoided a tragedy with one of the more rare food allergies. 

I don't know what I'd do if I were allergic to garlic. I could never eat again. lol 
yes my sister in law and niece are allergic to garlic so the persimmon sauce I made this year (12 bottles)did not have garlic in the sauce. I made another spicier batch of the same sauce with garlic as I really love the flavor. 

Back