Insurance - did some research, got some answers

Hi all,

OK, so I’ve spent the last couple of days working with an insurance underwriter, and here’s the information I’ve gathered.

This is specific to California, which is often one of the more restrictive states when it comes to regulatory stuff and especially food/drug safety, so I am not sure what ramifications this has for other parts of the country. Please do your own due diligence for your own state.

Nonetheless, I thought it might be helpful to post:
​----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: If I use a co-packer, do I have to carry liability insurance or is the insurance limited to the co-packer’s manufacturing facility?

A: Since you are not doing the manufacturing yourself and instead hiring a contract manufacturer to manufacture the hot sauce for you, you or [major insurance company name] won’t have control over this third party manufacturer therefore there would be no liability insurance available for this kind of scenario.

Q: If I have a home office, is there any need to carry liability insurance?

A: With regards to you doing the sales & marketing for your hot sauce business, if you would be working from your home office, again there is no available liability insurance for this.

Q: What if I eventually move to a rented office?

A: if you were to rent a small office where you would do all your sales, marketing, accounting, paper work, etc. for the hot sauce business then you can be eligible for a business liability and property insurance. (the expected response)

Volunteered by underwriter: “But please please please make sure that your manufacturer has a very good facility and really strong manufacturing insurance for your own protection.
(sound advice)

Q: Suppose I were to rent space in a professional kitchen, one that is certified/inspected.

Like a restaurant or lodge. If I could rent such a facility 1 or 2 days a week and use it to produce sauce, I would then be the manufacturer.

Would I be able to get liability insurance for that (in CA)

A: [Major parent Insurance company] said if you’re the sole occupant of the kitchen and no one else, and no other companies will use it then we can write a policy for it.

However, [Major parent Insurance company] said in a scenario where you’re using the kitchen part time, and others use it part time, due to potential cross contamination, there is far greater liability exposure since the kitchen is actually being used by other companies any day of the week. It will be very difficult to control so again no liability insurance would be available for this scenario.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Q&A here cut/pasted from emails between the underwriter and myself.

Good information I think. Hope it's of interest.
:cheers:

I use a shared kitchen, and was able to get liability insurance

It pays to shop around when it comes to insurance - the first policy I had was over twice the cost of the one I have now, for the same coverage

talk to an insurance agent who deals with business insurances,(most likely not a National Brandname Insurance Co), and not a local agent that sells only car/vehicle insurance. There are agents who deal with business of all types for all types of insurance. I've used a private kitchen owned by another manufacturer, a shared use community kitchen, and finally my own kitchen. I've always carried insurance, but you have to find the agent who deals with business insurance.

Currently we use a local insurance agent for all our business insurances (electrical contracting, electrical bond, food manufacturing, private vehicle insurance, commercial vehicle insurance....$$$$$ per year for everything.....:crazy: )

Thanks SL!! I'll keep checking. This was Farmer's and I was dealing with 1st the local & later the national agent.

But I'll check around - it's both for me as I want to make small batches so I can offer "special editions" while the co-packer does the bulk as well as for a friend who's a chef who wants to start making candies & cookies to sell at market.

Appreciate the info and inspiration - I was about ready to give up.

One thing about about doing it at home - my agent basically said Farmer's would drop my homeowner's insurance if I tried to start a food business at home regardless of inspections/certifications. You don't have any problem with that?

My processing facility (sounds pretty fancy, huh, but it actually only 15'x20' ) is in a building separate from the house.

Never had any issues with running a business out of the home, millions do that, so I don't know why Farmers would have an issue with that.

In Washington, the food processing area must be separate from the domestic living area. You cannot use your home kitchen as a processing kitchen. The processing kitchen can be in an area attached to the living area, but it must be able to be totally closed off to the living area and have a separate entrance from the outside to the processing area, in addition to all the sinks etc that are required. Farmer's might have an issue with something like that, a processing kitchen in a home, but most people can't get those logisitic satisfied to have a processing kitchen in their home. So most do like I did and put the kitchen in a separate building. I can't see why having a kitchen in a separate building would have any effect on homeowners insurance. But I ain't an insurance agent, so hey, what do I know? :lol:

Thanks SL!! I'll keep checking. This was Farmer's and I was dealing with 1st the local & later the national agent.

But I'll check around - it's both for me as I want to make small batches so I can offer "special editions" while the co-packer does the bulk as well as for a friend who's a chef who wants to start making candies & cookies to sell at market.

Appreciate the info and inspiration - I was about ready to give up.

One thing about about doing it at home - my agent basically said Farmer's would drop my homeowner's insurance if I tried to start a food business at home regardless of inspections/certifications. You don't have any problem with that?

Check your local regs. I've heard that the state of CA has pretty much said No to any home based food production facility. And your local city ordinances will have a say in that too (you get your business licence from the city). My city is pretty restrictive on what businesses can be operated out of a home. Food production is definitely not on the list, so for me it was a moot point whether CA allowed it or not.

What state?

Imma call a couple other underwriters, but this was a pretty big national firm.

California. I got my insurance thru Hartford

Check your local regs. I've heard that the state of CA has pretty much said No to any home based food production facility. And your local city ordinances will have a say in that too (you get your business licence from the city). My city is pretty restrictive on what businesses can be operated out of a home. Food production is definitely not on the list, so for me it was a moot point whether CA allowed it or not.

California. I got my insurance thru Hartford

Thanks - I'll check that out when the time comes. I'm going with a co-packer first, but I'd love to be able to offer special batches - one-off recipes and limited editions, things like that to increase my product line to customers of my website (when I have one in a couple months)

Really appreciate the help, thanks!

Ps - I'm in an "unincorporated city" so I actually have to do all my business related stuff at the county level. It's a good thing in that it saves me a little $ in city fees, but might create a gray area for anything I try to do with home-based manufacturing (e.g. like SL with building a separate work-space) .

Back