• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Interest in Reaper

ajdrew said:
I get the idea you are using the term 'reaper' generically.  If not, or if you mean it as any super hot, I have an idea for you.  Clean, cut in half and get rid of the placenta and seeds, and then flush with cold water before you cook with it.  The hot is in the middle around those seeds, but the flavor is in the pepper walls.  Then add a bit and taste, add a bit and taste, until you get to a comfortable heat level.  This way, you can include more of the flavor before it becomes uncomfortable.

I did this with Carolina Reaper when making pepper jelly.  In the end, it tasted like it had been made with a bit of liquid smoke.  I really didn't expect it at all.  Tasted great.
in the beginning of this thread I meant it as the reaper specifically. But as the thread progressed it has become more generic.

I really am not picky just looking to grow and use a super hot, and was looking for input. I know from experience that if I just started a thread and said what super should I grow, that it would just be everyone throwing out what they think. I figured by picking a pepper it would help keep things less like a name throwing contest and more of a discussion about a specific pepper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, but i think you're skipping a step or 2.... jumping from a Jalapeño (which tops out at around 10,000 SHU, some sources claim a bit higher for some strains)  to a Thai pepper (which'd range from 50,000 to 100,00 SHU, depending on which "Thai" pepper,) to a Reaper, which clocks well over 1millionSHU.  Get yourself something in the 100k-300k range.  Habs, or Bonnets, or anything else in that range.  

My mama always told me, you must crawl before you walk, and you must think before you talk....  actually, she never said that, but the point i'm trying to make is, try to get there incrementally.

That being said, i wanna grow some superhots my first season.... mostly just for freak factor.  I ate a CARDI scorpion the other day-- arguably the mildest of the Scorpions (aside from the "sweet" variant)-- and it lit me up something fierce.  I still feel a bit nervous around peppers, now. Yeah, i knew how hot it would be , in theory--in a mathematical sense.  But until you try the supers, you won't have an empirical notion of just how ballz-to-the wall HAWT these things can be.

Best advice, probably, is to echo what others have said above-- get a SRFB from someone reputable, and try a couple different things.  That's what they told me to do a few weeks back; that's what i did last week, and i'm much happier for it now.

Oh, and i think i already said "welcome" in your intro thread, but if i didn't-- Welcome!!!

Bicycle808 said:
Just my opinion, but i think you're skipping a step or 2.... jumping from a Jalapeño (which tops out at around 10,000 SHU, some sources claim a bit higher for some strains)  to a Thai pepper (which'd range from 50,000 to 100,00 SHU, depending on which "Thai" pepper,) to a Reaper, which clocks well over 1millionSHU.  Get yourself something in the 100k-300k range.  Habs, or Bonnets, or anything else in that range.  

My mama always told me, you must crawl before you walk, and you must think before you talk....  actually, she never said that, but the point i'm trying to make is, try to get there incrementally.

That being said, i wanna grow some superhots my first season.... mostly just for freak factor.  I ate a CARDI scorpion the other day-- arguably the mildest of the Scorpions (aside from the "sweet" variant)-- and it lit me up something fierce.  I still feel a bit nervous around peppers, now. Yeah, i knew how hot it would be , in theory--in a mathematical sense.  But until you try the supers, you won't have an empirical notion of just how ballz-to-the wall HAWT these things can be.

Best advice, probably, is to echo what others have said above-- get a SRFB from someone reputable, and try a couple different things.  That's what they told me to do a few weeks back; that's what i did last week, and i'm much happier for it now.

Oh, and i think i already said "welcome" in your intro thread, but if i didn't-- Welcome!!!
This.. it's easy to expect a super hot to be hot. But once that brain strain oil slides over your tongue and you think about putting a red hot spoon in your mouth to cool it off, it's a whole new ballgame lol.

If you decide to try mid range heat I highly suggest Habanero. Their HOT but edible. I grow a few types of supers (reapers, bhuts, brown moruga, 7 pots primo, etc) .. for fun.. my eaters are primarily my 4 varieties of habs.

In the end, try reapers, try Brown Moruga, try Brain Strain, try Bulls Hearts, and banana peppers. Try them all.

It's fun to talk about varieties especially while we wait months for the fruits of our labor, but nothing beats trying them.

LordHill said:
This.. it's easy to expect a super hot to be hot. But once that brain strain oil slides over your tongue and you think about putting a red hot spoon in your mouth to cool it off, it's a whole new ballgame lol.

If you decide to try mid range heat I highly suggest Habanero. Their HOT but edible. I grow a few types of supers (reapers, bhuts, brown moruga, 7 pots primo, etc) .. for fun.. my eaters are primarily my 4 varieties of habs.

In the end, try reapers, try Brown Moruga, try Brain Strain, try Bulls Hearts, and banana peppers. Try them all.

It's fun to talk about varieties especially while we wait months for the fruits of our labor, but nothing beats trying them.
Bicycle808 said:

Yea,i guess the "freak factor"was what drives me. Being able to say your chili was made with some freak of a pepper would be so cool. But I guess it's just as cool to just say you grew the peppers no matter which type it is. I would definitely still wanna grow something crazy for fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Truth be told, a lot of the weakhearts-dem think that Habs are some kind of "freak pepper," LOL.  Luckily for us erudite chile-heads, there are about a zillion different esoteric varieties of what are more or less Habaneros available.  (Some argue that only orange Yucateco varieties are "True" Habs, but in practice.... we're still gonna call a Hab a Hab, right?)  Anyway, if you get some Safi peppers (for example) and make chili with that, Bob and Larry from work are going to think it's plenty hot, and totally exotic...

I really like Malarkey's idea. Buy a sfrb of fresh pods including a reaper or two. That way you can harvest seeds and plant what you like from the box. For 90% of the people, the Reaper is too hot to eat fresh so many dry and powder or make flakes to add to foods. A little at a time or a whole lot. Your chili would be perfect for powder or flakes of Reaper.

Good luck!

Hi, I know how you feel. That is me 2 years ago . Spicy food freak with just Jalapenos and cayennes to make me happy.
Since then I have planted , harvested and eaten Trinidad Scorpions , Chocolate habaneros , Bhut Jolokia etc. etc. . At the moment I have no desire to go hotter and I am quite satisfied to play around with what I have.

Should I make a small pot of Chili con carne today , I will still go for 15 Jalapenos roughly chopped with a bit of Choc Hab powder , rather than 1 or 2 supers .

So, don't shoot for the top immediately , rather enjoy the journey through Pepperland. :dance:

If you just want to use the reaper because of the famous name, I understand. But, if you want to use a pepper that tastes hotter and has a MUCH better flavor, go with the 7 pot Primo. In most cases, primos consistently look more like reapers, than reapers do. +1 on the powder, I carry Primo powder to almost every restaurant I go to. Tom

In sauce, I didn't really find the Primo as hot. It's still a damn serious chilli and it came on harder, better, faster and stronger but failed to follow through on the heat it felt like it should have reached.

spicefreak said:
In sauce, I didn't really find the Primo as hot. It's still a damn serious chilli and it came on harder, better, faster and stronger but failed to follow through on the heat it felt like it should have reached.
Did you get your seeds from Troy, or did you get them from someone else who grew them out and picked seeds? From my sees of both kind, both from original sources, the Primos edged out the reapers by just a little bit. But the taste makes the difference. Just like getting red Brain Strains from Cappy, beat scorpions for heat and flavor.

cycadjungle said:
Did you get your seeds from Troy, or did you get them from someone else who grew them out and picked seeds? From my sees of both kind, both from original sources, the Primos edged out the reapers by just a little bit. But the taste makes the difference. Just like getting red Brain Strains from Cappy, beat scorpions for heat and flavor.

My only real experience with the Primo is in CaJohn's Hydra sauce as I have not yet been able to source any. I acquired some seeds relatively recently but it's too late in the season for me to be planting supers until next year.
As a first ingredient and over 40% sauce though, the way it compares to similar concentration Reaper and Scorpion sauces should give a relative indicator of the chilli's heat. I found it seriously strong but not Reaper level.

If Pepperlover comes to market this season,Their PRIMO strains bring plenty to the table
Watch for them

spicefreak said:

There is no right or wrong answer . I suggest , go for it ! grow you a couple of reapers , you have nothing to lose . you can powder them , puree , hot sauce . if you don't like them , sell them or simply give them away .  or just admire them on the  plant !     :onfire:
HPIM2695.JPG

Awesome plant compost at the very least end . . . . ;)
moruga welder said:
There is no right or wrong answer . I suggest , go for it ! grow you a couple of reapers , you have nothing to lose . you can powder them , puree , hot sauce . if you don't like them , sell them or simply give them away .  or just admire them on the  plant !     :onfire:

What I say about trying new chilies, is don't be afraid to experiment with yourself and hotter chilies. Since you can eat Thai peppers, I say eat a habanero, and if you can handle that, try a bhut. If you can handle an bhut jolokia, then try a reaper. Welcome to the forum.

Back