• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Interesting way to boost temps for germination

I have had a hard time getting super hots to germinate. Probably because I was trying to get them to germinate at room temp.

I was about to break down and buy a heating mat when I thought I'd try putting the seeds (in paper towels which are in sandwich baggies) next to the exhaust from my deep freeze for a few days.

In two days I checked on them, both my Nagas and brainstrains had taproots showing. Hopefully this works just as well next time I need to germinate seeds.

hmm.. some good ideas here.
I was wondering myself about another way to go about this without having to get a specific piece of equipment.
thanks for the topic.

Germination depends on two items...moisture and heat...no light is required until they sprout then pour the light to them...

Depending on how many seeds you germinate each year, a specific piece of equipment that can double as a grow area is nice...especially if you start bunches of seeds each year...if you only start a few seeds each year, the plastic baggie method is probably the most surefire way to start them...

if you are a DIYer, a germinator is pretty simple to make too...plywood, 2 X 4s, a little insulation, thermostat, a couple of high wattage incandescent bulbs, and a couple of shop light fixtures..is all you need...

My germinator has two chambers that are 2' X 4' and hold four 72 cell trays each (total 576 seeds at a time)....and I built it about 4 years ago for less than $300...most costly thing was the remote bulb thermostat I bought at a hydro store which was $130....

I think i will be falling into the few seeds a year category. And if i can sucesfully winter some plants then maybe not even that.
see how it goes i guess.

Back