Introduction + Help Needed for Next Year's Grow

Hello!  Newbie from North Georgia here.....just tried pepper growing for the first time this season.  I got a late start (planted small plants from Lowes about 2 weeks ago).  Not sure I'll get many if any peppers from either plant (banana pepper & jalapeno).  However, I do want to go ahead and plan next year's crop.

I want to make sure my crops are two things so that I can ensure that my morale stays high:  1) Easy to grow and 2) Produce a lot of peppers.  I am researching the seeds I want, and so far I'm leaning towards this list, and I'd like your feedback:

1) Jalapeno
2) Orange Habanero
3) Bishop's Crown/Christmas Bell
4) Jimmy Nardellos
5) Yellow Scotch Bonnets

What are your thoughts?  Any other suggestions?  I like mild and sweet peppers to eat with my meals...and I will use some of the hots in salsas and other marinades, etc.

I'm not sure how the whole SASBE/SASE thing works...but if anyone wants to allow me the opportunity to try a different seed, I am up for anything.

I don't have a source for seeds currently, but I am looking at the different forum sponsors first.  Also, I will be going through my late grandfather's seeds over the next few weeks....he's been deceased for nearly 15 years, but I'm hoping I can find and save some of his seeds from his gardens (tomatoes, peppers, corn, okra, squash, etc.).

Thanks for letting me write a book on my first post....lol....looking forward to trying and contribute to this great forum.  :party:

hi

if you put in the search engine at the top

THE PROPER WAY TO DO AN SASBE that will help some

have a good look at that first and them pm me i would like to help

if its been 15 years you might be hard pressed to get those seeds to grow, give it a try its not imposable though

thanks your friend Joe

Welcome to the forums and your new addiction :welcome:

For early  workhorses i suggest sweet banana, hot banana, Hungarian wax. In late April / early May you can pick up a cheap flat from a gardening store that contains all three, You can prepare them any which way, stuffing, roasting, salads, powders, and especially pickling. They have the 3 different flavor stages, green, yellow and red.

Serranos are another common workhorse. A milder-mid heat that subsides fast. The green ones are super crisp & great picklers, but the ripe ones are sweeter and thicker fleshed. Cheap flats are available in most gardening stores. I suggest starting with at least a few plants, because the plants don't get huge, and you'll eat them as fast as they produce.

Get ready to expand your garden plot for next year. For cheap/easy compost get a bunch of bags of pine bark mulch and autumn leaves, scratch it into the surface, or layer it over your dirt, this year preferably.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far!

I'll be PMing those who have told me to....thanks again!

Also, I'll update the thread when/if I find my grandpa's stash of seeds!

Back