• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

IRONITE FOR HOT PEPPERS YES OR NO??

Im thinking about using it this year to replenish the lost calcium and iron as well as other trace and essential nutrients , i thinks it would be a good idea this year as it is the third year in the same plots

i throw everthing that i can get my hands on organic such as cofe grounds, egg shells,tea bags, household items,used bulk yerba mate tea, and at the end of evey season a mixture of pine straw, my old plants, grass and leave

DO I NEED TO USE IRONITE??

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe

i have no idea! i do know we have crazy amounts of iron in are water so are plants get plenty,they dont seem to mind?

I have looking at the Ironite at the Home Depot for months thinking it might be good.

Anybody tried it yet?

what is it? iron sulfate is my only guess. chelated iron would be alot more costly i would think. i dont think you are going to burn anything.. but unless your plants are deficient, id not use it.

It's low in Nitrogen, so there's little risk of burning...If it's calcium and iron you want, it sounds like the way to go...Of course, when you start adding too many micro and macronutrients, you may run the risk of overdoing it and setting yourself back :(

true and of course im going to watch for od'ing them
im actually going to add it about a month in advance of planting so its in the soil good

this is the third year in the same place im a bit concerned that the soil is now deficiant in cal and other nutriants
i feed my worms very well you should see the size of some of them!!!
ironite says it will not burn

can anyone else say something about it

thanks your friend Joe

I use Ironite, in the soil and pots just for the iron to darken the leaves. I’ve never had any problems with it, one of my potted peppers I’ve had for 3 years and just throw a hand full of Ironite on top of the soil in the spring and let it dissolve with each watering. The plant is still in the same pot with the same soil. For in ground plants when planting I’d mix a handful with the soil I’m filling the hole with. I haven’t done any controlled experiment, but IMO the worst thing that will happen is you spend money and don’t see any difference.

I strongly suggest doing a crop rotation or at least planting a winter cover crop/green manure and tilling it under in the spring. When I lived in PA I was partial to winter Rye, but there are drawbacks: 1) Plant between Aug and Sept, no later than mid Oct. but for a small to medium garden you can plant while peppers are still in the ground if careful, then when the peppers are done the rye is established. 2) More work in the spring, you’ll need to till the rye and let it dry/die then till for planting, which may take 2 or more passes than if you didn’t plant the rye (may have to cut the grass prior to tilling).

I’ve always wanted to experiment with planting clover with my peppers, both for a ground cover and for their nitrogen fixing benefit, but I’m still trying to master my procrastination skills. :halo:

I use Ironite, in the soil and pots just for the iron to darken the leaves. I’ve never had any problems with it, one of my potted peppers I’ve had for 3 years and just throw a hand full of Ironite on top of the soil in the spring and let it dissolve with each watering. The plant is still in the same pot with the same soil. For in ground plants when planting I’d mix a handful with the soil I’m filling the hole with. I haven’t done any controlled experiment, but IMO the worst thing that will happen is you spend money and don’t see any difference.

I strongly suggest doing a crop rotation or at least planting a winter cover crop/green manure and tilling it under in the spring. When I lived in PA I was partial to winter Rye, but there are drawbacks: 1) Plant between Aug and Sept, no later than mid Oct. but for a small to medium garden you can plant while peppers are still in the ground if careful, then when the peppers are done the rye is established. 2) More work in the spring, you’ll need to till the rye and let it dry/die then till for planting, which may take 2 or more passes than if you didn’t plant the rye (may have to cut the grass prior to tilling).

I’ve always wanted to experiment with planting clover with my peppers, both for a ground cover and for their nitrogen fixing benefit, but I’m still trying to master my procrastination skills. :halo:
thanks for the info
very helpful
your friend Joe

Saw that and picked one up today, also they had loads of torn bags for 1/2 off, so I got some 6-6-6 for the palms and different plants... the bananas love it.

I just read that it contains a high enough amount of heavy metals to warrant a "hazardous material" label - mercury, lead and arsenic. The site is "Gardenguides", so I'll try to post it if I can.

Warning

Several studies of Ironite fertilizer found that it contains heavy metals, such as arsenic, lead and mercury in sufficient quantities to label it hazardous waste, based on standards set by the federal government, according to Environment California website. Even small amounts of arsenic and lead may be toxic to young children and the product may contaminate soils. Ironite manufacturers claim these metals do not break down into the air or soil and that the product is safe when used as directed. The product has been banned in Canada and several states are considering similar measures.

Read more: Effectiveness of Ironite Fertilizer | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/132267-effectiveness-ironite-fertilizer.html#ixzz1qXIjz57L

I'll pass on this..Geritol is safer :D

Anything in the wrong quantity can be harmful, too much water and you drown, right?

If used in the prescribed manner, not poured on by the lb, will ironite affect the podding of the plants?. All my plants are full of flowers or podding right now. I am thinking about supplementing them with some light doses of ironite. Any other thoughts?

Anything in the wrong quantity can be harmful, too much water and you drown, right?

If used in the prescribed manner, not poured on by the lb, will ironite affect the podding of the plants?. All my plants are full of flowers or podding right now. I am thinking about supplementing them with some light doses of ironite. Any other thoughts?

I didn't write the article, just passing it along...Besides, drowning has more to do with improper intake (lungs) of water than it does the quantity for which it is meant (drank)..

You can drink so much water that you die. It never gets in the lungs. Happens to infants from time to time.

Anything in large unhealthy quantities is bad.

Now back to ironite, please.

And I am asking to return to the question "is ironite helpful in pepper growing"

Do you have any input on that topic?

Back