• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is anyone growing a banana plant?

Hollyberry,

I'm riding the horse that brought me here. Same MO germinating nanas as toms, peppers, basil and cockscomb, as well as Angel's Trumpets, though the latter and the nanas are the only seeds I soak.

I certainly do not expect to see a hood in two weeks (not that I wouldn't be delighted!). I'm willing to wait until Christmas to sow more of them, as well as the other 11 varieties I got today (seedman.com ships quickly).

This spring, I learned a good lesson - having plants get too big to keep is just as bad as not having plants to sell at all.

Mike

Hollyberry,
this is one of the pictures that i wanted to show you. the fencing is 5 feet tall. A short banana tree with fruit.

photo0112.jpg

The Hollyberry Lady said:
Absolutely awesome - thanks for showing.

Which type is that?

: )

HMM thats the problem i have. i don't know the names of the varieties of the banana's here.
sorry.
i got another 2 more pictures(one is the banana plant at my office and another is from my father's house) to show but i can't seem to find my camera cable. the above picture is from my hand phone camera.

I'm gonna steal your shot and hopefully I can find out what that is for ya - I'll let you know...

What you have there Srin2, with bananas on it, is a 'Super Dwarf Cavendish'.

Now you know.

thank you very much.
will post the other 2 pics soon.

Cavendish...hmmm i think there is a cavendish banana orchard somewhere nearby my place. they supply Tesco's near my house with fresh cavendish bananas.

This was a couple of weeks ago.
017-5.jpg

018-4.jpg

(my house is 2 story and it towers the house)

As you can see, they get knocked around by wind alot !

I have order some nana bags, and started a feed schedule.

And I have 3 suckers that are comin out and into pots.

DOSE ANYONE WANT A BANANA PALM ?? I WILL HAVE THREE 5ft BABIES READY TO GO IN A COUPLE OF WEEK!!!!

Not to hijack this thread, but to...

I've been looking to grow some nanas this year and today a search took me to a site: GreenEarth.com The person has the musa basjoo plant, and a lot of others at really great prices (about $10 per plant) but that's not the point. At the bottom of the page was the opportunity to buy Fiji Hydroponic Lettuce, that is, lettuce grown in Fiji.

My brain goes into overload mode. Last winter, I ordered some Bhut Jolokia seeds from an ad on this site - a great price and came with a pepper to boot. Got to talking with the guy, his name is Ted Taylor, and he is into greenhouses. Gave me some advice on the structures and even sent me a book about building them, different things that can be grown, costs, return on investment, etc.

We typed back and forth for a while (and he is probably the leading reason I decided to build a GH) and he sent an image of a great hydroponic setup he has where he grows lettuce in bamboo. He also said, at the time, he had a business in Fiji. Duh, a light goes off - how many people grow and sell hydroponically grown lettuce in Fiji.

Thankfully, there is an e-mail link on the site's order page and when I click on it, I get the same e-mail addy as Ted's from last winter.

I will be ordering plants from him and keep wondering just how small this world is!

Mike

I ordered three plants: basjoo, Apple Banana and Dwarf Cavendish. It's probably pushing things, but I'm hoping for at least some green bananas on the Cavendish by the middle of August.

Mike

Great shots, Everyone!

Yeah, I need a taller ceiling for my plant now. Gonna move it down lower soon.

Hophead: Not uncommon that it didn't flower - may need a longer growing season. Some still, take years to produce.

I now have the three plants I ordered that I am potting up. One will go in the GH, the other two upstairs under lights.

Mike

Here's the two plants upstairs under the LED panels.

126banana.jpg

The Apple Banana is on the left, the Basjoo on the right.

Mike

Back