• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is anyone well schooled in Grafting???

Wondering if next year I can graft some over winters to have one plant producing 3 varieties of peppers. I assume they will have to be of the same class. No annums with pubes...I assume. But definitely options in my mind. Any idea what is needed to do this. I saw a fruit tree in cali with 3 different fruits depending on the branch. The tour explained but I didn't absorb much of it. Funny how when you are really trying to listen and learn 3 boys can find anything to distract you. :rofl:

Any thoughts???

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg0532.html

Same thing. same species will definitely work. not sure about different species, but I doubt it will.

Check out this article on grafting chilli peppers. They use rubber tubing for the graft method . Looks simple.
http://www.avrdc.org/fileadmin/pdfs/Grafting_sweet_peppers.pdf

Mark T

it is best to try more than one as some may not take
so plant a few rootstocks and be prepared for some amount of failures :crazy:

make sure to use a very sharp knife and match
the cambrial layers closely(cut clean and match stem to bark interfaces closely)
cover with pruning compound or black plastic.

I'm thinking about trying my hand at grafting a C. Chinense variety onto a 1 year old Annuum hybrid. I don't have much by the way of active over wintered C. Chinense branches to work with at the moment.

Hello,
In my experience it works quite well with different species of pepper(atleast with the domesticated ones, dunno about the wild ones(especially the ones with 2n=26).
C.chinense on C. pubescens works very well, especially when you give alot of space for its roots.
But if you graft more than two varieties on the same plant, it is more for the eye than for the crop.
BR
Jan ;)

It's a cool idea and did it several times after a discussion here about a single plant with multiple chiles, but it's kind of pointless. the plants I do graft are ones that take years to reach maturity and flower. grafting a small branch off a flowering plant onto a young plant will make it flower. brilliant.

I plan on doing this this fall. Its better to use fairly large base stock in order for the graft to take well, but it works. :) There are many types of grafting though.

Back