Is Green OK?

I have a bunch of end of season peppers (ghost, habs, and scorpions).  I was wondering what the taste difference is for the green peppers I am about to remove from the plants in preparation for overwintering is.  I was thinking of smoking, drying, and powdering them.

-Alden

Less flavor has developed, but green peppers are better than no peppers...

The Indian guy I give my Ghost peppers to always asks for them green he doesn't use them when fully ripe. 

AldenMiller said:
I have a bunch of end of season peppers (ghost, habs, and scorpions).  I was wondering what the taste difference is for the green peppers I am about to remove from the plants in preparation for overwintering is.  I was thinking of smoking, drying, and powdering them.

-Alden
I'm thinking about trying a fermented green sauce with mine.  There's some discussion about green sauces over in the sauce category.

PepperDaddler said:
Grassy taste.
I wonder how much of that comes thru when smoked and dried?

Ok, yesterday I picked all the remaining green peppers off of my two plants.  I smoked them with cherry wood for four hours at just under 200 degrees.  Then into the dehydator, for a while it was not too pleasant to go into the kitchen while they were drying but this morning the aroma has diminished greatly, tonight I think it will be powder time.  -Alden

20131007_130827_zps42b55179.jpg

Green is better than none. Some taste good green (to some people).

Got a handful off my frostbitten ones yesterday.
Will be used fresh in salads and salsas, as I have a load already dried, frozen and smoked.

Had a green dorset naga once cause i knocked it off when transplanting.

Grassy taste, but most of the heat was there. After that I always let them ripen completely. Usually pull a day or two after the full change.

It does have a slightly green taste but plenty of heat.  I think if I add it to chili it will boost the heat and not overwhelm with its flavor.  I had a bunch of them and just couldn't see letting them go to waste.

-Alden

Back