• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is it better to brush pollinate like this

geeme said:
Regarding the electric toothbrush - there is one variety of tomato plant that, for some strange reason, will only pollinate at a certain frequency. This frequency happens to match the frequency of the wings of a certain type of bee and none others. It was found that electric toothbrushes also have this frequency. Hence, an electric toothbrush is perfect if you happen to grow that particular variety of tomatoes. (Sorry, I'm too lazy ATM to look this up again, but you're welcome to use Google and other such tools to research it on your own.) The use of an electric toothbrush for that variety got applied (erroneously) to other varieties by gardeners who didn't know the specific application, and then was subsequently spread to other types of plants, including chile peppers. As of the last time I looked into this topic, there were no chile varieties that required the frequency. I've decided that the electric toothbrush approach, for anything other than the tomato variety that needs it, is promulgated by people who are vibrator addicts of the not-toothbrush kind. 

:D
Sorry but I have to call bs because not all electric toothbrushes have the same vibration.

Back