• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

is it possible to connect 1 more main root to pepper plant?

Powelly said:
Got it, looks pretty easy
I'll give it a go

for the second root I suggest you to do a wedge cut
AWgBoBW.png

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/smallfarm/downloads/50570.pdf  page 45

floricole said:
this is call -> MULTIPLE ROOTSTOCK TECHNOLOGY or (double rootstock)
just google for it
Right, you are. However, still seems to be all about trees, as opposed to plants and the like. Makes a big difference. It also doesn't seem to be very easy, ha.

The document you referred, to which I was replying, is only about standard scion grafting. I downloaded it.

However, the pics that follow in your posts below are interesting. I understand the concept, I just didn't think it would be anything short of pointless. I could be wrong. Interested to see if you have any luck.

Grafting roots onto a plant to achieve disease or pest resistance is one thing. Under pressure, the susceptible root system will succomb to environmental stress leaving only the resistant roots. That makes sense. But grafting on a second root system in order to achieve a plant with two functioning root systems probably won't achieve anything besides setting the plant back.
     A healthy plant represents cooperation between properly proportioned root and shoot systems. Just because a plant suddenly has 2x the roots doesn't mean it will have the photosynthetic potential to maintain or benefit from all those extra roots. Assuming the graft takes, the plant will still only have the same amount of energy production from its leaves as it normally would have had with only one root system. So until the plant is once again happy with its root/shoot ratio, root growth will stall until shoot growth has a chance to catch up.
     Think of it like running a gas engine. You need a proper mix of gas and air to run properly. Just adding more gas won't get you far. You'll just choke it out. Adding more air won't help either - it will run lean and probably stall.
     Plants pretty much know what they're doing in this regard. Just plant it in good soil and make sure it gets enough light, water and nutrients.

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
     Grafting roots onto a plant to achieve disease or pest resistance is one thing. Under pressure, the susceptible root system will succomb to environmental stress leaving only the resistant roots. That makes sense. But grafting on a second root system in order to achieve a plant with two functioning root systems probably won't achieve anything besides setting the plant back.
     A healthy plant represents cooperation between properly proportioned root and shoot systems. Just because a plant suddenly has 2x the roots doesn't mean it will have the photosynthetic potential to maintain or benefit from all those extra roots. Assuming the graft takes, the plant will still only have the same amount of energy production from its leaves as it normally would have had with only one root system. So until the plant is once again happy with its root/shoot ratio, root growth will stall until shoot growth has a chance to catch up.
     Think of it like running a gas engine. You need a proper mix of gas and air to run properly. Just adding more gas won't get you far. You'll just choke it out. Adding more air won't help either - it will run lean and probably stall.
     Plants pretty much know what they're doing in this regard. Just plant it in good soil and make sure it gets enough light, water and nutrients.
This is what I figure. Well put.

I will try this year, I have plants that I made to do the graft. They will have the right diameter in two or three weeks.
If this gives me a favorable yield I would do more next year on varieties less productive.

For the moment the tests carried out by Virentes shows a 26% improvement increase in yield to 230%

Today was the time to try it. The stem is about 1/16 inch. (0.078. 3mm) diameter
those are Gorria pepper, I keep #1 As a comparison plant
#3 head will be remove

LzfWmzH.png

The way I will graft them together

csAmjum.png

this is where I did the cut, i use Feather Hi Stainless Double Edge Razor Blade when I do grafting, they are the sharpest

LR4Ls78.png

the result

LzyWjCX.png

Silicone clip to hold it in place

emWviZY.png

Will see in a week if I have success ...

floricole said:
Today was the time to try it. The stem is about 1/16 inch. (0.078. 3mm) diameter
those are Gorria pepper, I keep #1 As a comparison plant
#3 head will be remove

Will see in a week if I have success ...

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I will try with Thai yellow pepper too but I will put each root in their own container.

lek said:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I will try with Thai yellow pepper too but I will put each root in their own container.
You will need etiolated plants, long enough under the cotyledons to be able to do it.
For this I would soak the seeds 24 hours in gibberellic acid at 200ppm.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`This was an interesting thread, anybody have an update?
unfortunately I can not say if it's worth it.
With the mediocre season we had here last year
I really did not have a good harvest for all my plants
so I will try again this year

Back