• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Is it too late to over winter this guy?

evhw9n0.jpg

wMeXxVw.jpg

Wanting to get this last pod to ripen since someone in the house decided to pick everything and freeze em' and not let me get one to pick apart for seeds...

How should I go about doing this? Looks like this thing is on it's last couple days.

I am kind of in the same Boat I had an unexpected Frost the other night and hope they will make it.  Can only try.. I think I read you might still use the frozen seeds to grow with maybe someone can help more with that.??  

The stem/trunk looks a little dark - did it get left out and froze? 

If it was up to me, i'd chop everything back except the branch with the pod and give it a little bit of nitrogen kick. like a cap full of fish fert. like a 5-1-1 in a cup of water. Thats how I got my overwintered plants to heal up 2 weeks ago.

Cold weather generally kills the smallest (tips) first.  I'd leave it alone for a while and see if it stays green.  Some parts could die and others not so if you cut off too much too early after cold weather exposure you may end up with less of the plant surviving than you intended to.

If the frozen pods are still whole there is a fair chance that a certain % are still viable and will sprout.  Dry them out completely and just use more seed per pot (culling away the weakest eventually if more than one seed spouts per pot) when it comes time to start plants again. 

I have seed laying all over the place on the ground outside that will freeze and thaw a few times this winter and plants will come up from that next spring... not plant's I'll keep, but rather I treat them as weeds in the way of plants already larger because I started them inside before it got warm enough outside for stray seeds to sprout.

The trunk may naturally be a bit darker, woodier looking than the rest but the sign of llimb death is turning from green to medium brown, not the woody bark look that big stems get but rather a consistent darker brown than that.

Good news.

The plant is still living.

Topped it at the Y and have been watering once a week, no nutes as yet.

Hopefully it'll keep up until April when temps get warmer.

Back