• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

is it turning out to be a bad year already?

just wanted to see whats going on here??

there are so many people in the same boat as me with the same complaint
very slow or no germination?? whats up anyway???
every menthod known to man to germinate seeds turns out the same??
IS IT GOING TO BE A BAD YEAR?? I WONDER??
i grant you i have many plants that have germinated but i have never had this much difficulty even when i was a newb??

whats your take,can i have some info/perspective whatever on this???

thanks your friend Joe

Hey Joe,

I would consider myself a good gardener. I would also consider myself impatient too. Which is why I do not even try to start from seed. See, peppers are perfect to just buy from the greenhouse, but that will limit what you get to grow. I find everything I want to grow right at the nursery but many others would not settle for such little variety. I start my cilantro from seed and I have some radishes seedlings right now that just came up from only 3 day of being planted, yup, another 24 days I will have a lot of containers of radishes!!!! If i lived in zone 9+, I think,Peppers can grow all year round? Just pop the seeds in the pot/ground and watch 'em grow because they love the warm weather.

So, if I lived in a warmer climate then I would start from seed.

Biggest germination fail comes from lack of the lack of heat. I could be wrong.

well im not as experience as all of you but i dont soak in tea or javel or drano or anything i just use the wet towel in a ziploc with some heat (about 25C) and i have good results and usually i go with pack of 4 seeds and they usually give 50 to 100% germ succes.

i have started a bit early and now im stuck in a jungle so i consider myself this is "too lucky" i need to make more room and rearange my grow room this week end cause i will start to have casuality!

Hang up guys let nature do it,s work, heat water and love

Ajijoe you should She my Peach Bhuts plants!!!! they throw pod like crazy! very nice looking pods!
Same for my Butch T's and Aji lemon and aji yellow!

Starting to have Vipers and Brain strain also! this one will be hot! Some of my plants are already2.5 feet tall

Well, the Aji Yellows I got from you grew quick and hardy. The first round of germination went much better than the second round for me. I haven't given up though. That's why round 3 is soaking right now!

I still use the "put the seed in the dirt and wait" method. In the dead of winter when ambient indoor temps were 65-70, it took a good 21+ days for some of my seeds, but I still had 90%+ success. Now my ambient temps are warmer, and most seeds take about 10 days. I just try to keep it simple. Anything complicated is not worth my time.

I don't use a heat mat, and the air temp is between 50 and 75 in the room. After over a month, I still have about 25% of my seeds that haven't poked through yet. That's why I started them a few weeks earlier this year.

well im not as experience as all of you but i dont soak in tea or javel or drano or anything i just use the wet towel in a ziploc with some heat (about 25C) and i have good results and usually i go with pack of 4 seeds and they usually give 50 to 100% germ succes.

i have started a bit early and now im stuck in a jungle so i consider myself this is "too lucky" i need to make more room and rearange my grow room this week end cause i will start to have casuality!

Hang up guys let nature do it,s work, heat water and love

Ajijoe you should She my Peach Bhuts plants!!!! they throw pod like crazy! very nice looking pods!
Same for my Butch T's and Aji lemon and aji yellow!

Starting to have Vipers and Brain strain also! this one will be hot! Some of my plants are already2.5 feet tall

Hammer stop teasing and send us some pics!! lol

im glad there doingh good

your friend Joe

I have had all of my seeds germinate(75 plants in total at the moment)with almost a 95% germ rate other than my douglah which i got only one out of like 10 seeds i planted. all of my seeds were sowed in a jiffy peat with starter soil or in jiffy pucks on a heat mat with no thermostat just a thermometer and thats it but i would think that its the weather too I live in southern california. i can basically have peppers out most of the year

hey guy dont get me wrong in many ways i am doing good but this has been the slowest germ year on record for me,i no longer concider myself a newb i do concider myself a good gardener and my room is sweltering hot around 82 to 85 degrees, so i know thats not the issue

i just seen what was happening to me and comparing it to all the talk on here about that very same issue, it seems others on here where in the same spot as me

i just put mine in dirt and water nothing else except keeping the room hot

well i should not complain mY MOROUGAH YELLOWS HAVE SPROUTED FINALLY!!

VERY HAPPY "A BOOT" THAT!! (sorry Hammer could not resist, i have a boss who is married to a Canadian guy, he's a real cool fellow)

Seth i got some aji yellow from anotgher sorce and they are not budging!~! im in the sam boat maybe i jyust have to go back to mine
all in all if anyone is in similar shape let me know

it just seems like a strange year??
thanks your friend Joe

Well seems the bleach method is starting to work less then 48 hours and i am now seeing little hooks pop out from the seeds you sent me Joe... another day or so and i be transplanting them into either soil or the root riot cubes.

So far I have had an 87% germination rate out of the 156 seeds I started, all of them coming from pepperlover.com.

Joe,
I have used the paper towel/zip lock method for years with flower seeds.
This year I built a incubator from a beer box & heat it with a
string of mini Christmas lights. Temp. holds steady at ~ 80 Fo.
I do not have the need or space for many plants so I only needed a few seeds of a couple
varieties.
Your first red buht seed germinated in just 8 days and a couple more came a week later.
The yellow scorpions are a no show at two weeks, I earlier attempted to germinate
yellow scorpion seeds from Matt and they are a no go at over three weeks, his Naga,
Giant Red and 7Pot popped over the three weeks are all now growing in pods.
My tomato seeds and mini ornamental peppers in zip locks (side by side with
the super hots). all germinated well and were moved into grow pods.
Do yellow scorpions need higher temp. or much longer germination time?
Is it too late to try again but directly in pods in a lighted grow box?
Newbie super hot grower (but an ol' gardener -really old!)

I'm a noobie but Im having great results, in rapid rooter style plugs, ( I'm impatient this way I can always see the seed lol ) in does on heat mats set at 85 degrees after soaking several hours. I have roughly 220 of 288 up. I did have to reseed a few plugs and completely start over with 2 varities, Brain Strain and Bonda Ma Jaques but overall very pleased!

I'm having an off season already but I think it's just because I got over-excited. It seems I get more into this every year and this is the first year I'm growing double digit plants. I'd love to grow hundreds like you guys but just don't have the space. I have tons of new equipment and I've been trying new things so I've been babying my plants too much. As a result I went slightly overboard on the watering and fertilizer so the guys are going a bit slow while they recover from my stupidity. I'm more worried we're going to have a mild summer than anything else though... we didn't have a winter and that's sometimes a bad sign.

well my yellow MOROUGAHs sprouted that makes me happy

i guess what i was really trying to say in this thread is its been very slow for me compared to other years and i notived many others where saying the same thing

im the type that if i planted a steak i would get a cow LOL
things are just a little slower this year and i have a few failures but i remain undaunted, i will move forward

im still going to have a great garden this year

thanks all

your friend Joe

Back