• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is it worth growing Hot Peppers in the PNW?

This summer and last summer have been cool and cloudy/rainy for the most part with a little sun here and there, a few nice days in the low 80's for the hottest temps. Do you guys think it would be worth it to grow here. I mean I have a 400W Hps light I use when the sun isnt out. But the lack of summer weather here is not only depressing but I feel like it might ruin my hobby... :mope: You thoughts and comments please :)

Don't know what to tell you..You're at a severe climatological disadvantage from the get go :cry: ...Have you looked into any peppers that don't require as much direct sunlight and high temps as super hots do?

Don't know what to tell you..You're at a severe climatological disadvantage from the get go :cry: ...Have you looked into any peppers that don't require as much direct sunlight and high temps as super hots do?

Ya, I know huh. No I havent because I mainly want to grow super hots.It would be a miracle to convince my wife to move to Spokane, WA which is where I'm from. Temps are in the 80's and 90's and sunny there :)

Here's my pathetic forecast!!! :banghead: http://weather.king5.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=king5&target=king5&query=98032&Submit=Submit

i would say grow indoors with some hps lights with a grow tent you can get some pretty big and pretty small ones on the internet just depends on your room indoors and how much money you have to work with...

Indoor can be pretty expensive, but it may be your best option. Have you thought about different habs? Red Savina and Chocolate habs have good heat and may be easier to grow up there...Just a thought....

i would say grow indoors with some hps lights with a grow tent you can get some pretty big and pretty small ones on the internet just depends on your room indoors and how much money you have to work with...

Ya, but I can only fit a few plants in the grow tent :( So lack of room would be the issue with that, unless I forked out more money on a bigger grow tent and 600 or 1,000 watt hps light. I want to grow more then just a few plants, so...

Ya, but I can only fit a few plants in the grow tent :( So lack of room would be the issue with that, unless I forked out more money on a bigger grow tent and 600 or 1,000 watt hps light. I want to grow more then just a few plants, so...
yeah the grow tents arnt too bad on price but those lights are pretty damn expensive that why i dont grow indoors

i guess not tooo bad but still alot for a 15 year old with no job lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-1000-Watt-HPS-Grow-Light-Kit-Plant-Hydroponics-Lamp-Set-1-000-1000w-W-/221073880303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337907b4ef

Indoor can be pretty expensive, but it may be your best option. Have you thought about different habs? Red Savina and Chocolate habs have good heat and may be easier to grow up there...Just a thought....

Possibly, the guy at my garden store grows habs and Bhuts indoors. I dunno, I just wish I could change the weather here!

This summer and last summer have been cool and cloudy/rainy for the most part with a little sun here and there, a few nice days in the low 80's for the hottest temps. Do you guys think it would be worth it to grow here. I mean I have a 400W Hps light I use when the sun isnt out. But the lack of summer weather here is not only depressing but I feel like it might ruin my hobby... :mope: You thoughts and comments please :)

Hey Jon, I'm with you buddy. Our summers for the last few years, or shall I say, lack thereof have been pretty depressing.. Especially with this hobby. You gotta stay positive though! I know a few members in Canada that don't see any pods until the 2nd year, after they overwinter them. Which might have to be our new option..

My 2 fataliis and yellow bhut that I overwintered last year are going to be the big producers this year. They're covered in buds and flowers, and will hopefully be full of pods next month. Even if they end up being covered in pods.. I'm still going to need to bring them inside for them to ripen.. Unfortunately that's the way it's been around here in recent years.. I'm 95% positive I'm going to be growing indoors year round from here on out. I can't trust our summers anymore, but I can trust 5000watts of MH HPS bulbs ;)

As for your question, is it worth it?
If were talking superhots....
No, unless you can overwinter or grow indoors.

Everything else seems to do okay outside around here.

Hope all is well with you buddy.

Brandon

Unfortunately, I might have to just stick to growing a few plants indoors next yr? Unless we get a miracle and get a decent summer next yr

Hey Jon, I'm with you buddy. Our summers for the last few years, or shall I say, lack thereof have been pretty depressing.. Especially with this hobby. You gotta stay positive though! I know a few members in Canada that don't see any pods until the 2nd year, after they overwinter them. Which might have to be our new option..

My 2 fataliis and yellow bhut that I overwintered last year are going to be the big producers this year. They're covered in buds and flowers, and will hopefully be full of pods next month. Even if they end up being covered in pods.. I'm still going to need to bring them inside for them to ripen.. Unfortunately that's the way it's been around here in recent years.. I'm 95% positive I'm going to be growing indoors year round from here on out. I can't trust our summers anymore, but I can trust 5000watts of MH HPS bulbs ;)

As for your question, is it worth it?
If were talking superhots....
No, unless you can overwinter or grow indoors.

Everything else seems to do okay outside around here.

Hope all is well with you buddy.

Brandon

Wow thats a lot of wattage buddy! Haha is that what your runnin? Ya, you're right about not trusting our lack of summers! What a blow! I will try to stay positive though ( very tough when I look out the window) We had a nice little run of summer a week or two ago, it got my hopes up dangit! Its just so weird to have to grow indoors when we are supposed to be in the middle of summer!~ :rofl:

you can always get this tent its just a whopping 600$ lmao

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5ae80ab64b

ya, I wish!!! :lol:

Possibly, the guy at my garden store grows habs and Bhuts indoors. I dunno, I just wish I could change the weather here!
I believe that it was in the report from that whole TS Moruga being the hottest pepper in the world fiasco, they said that the Bhuts were very close to Habaneros, genetically.

hey, mega~
my first thought was to move to eastern wa. Other than that, buy all thecommon chiles from stores. ask the produce department what they can get. and then focus on growing the unusual exotics.
good luck, see you soon~

hey, mega~
my first thought was to move to eastern wa. Other than that, buy all thecommon chiles from stores. ask the produce department what they can get. and then focus on growing the unusual exotics.
good luck, see you soon~

Thank you for your input :) I think I will just stick to growing a few plants indoors and take em outdoors (when the rare opportunity comes around) Ya, I do want to move back to Spokane! Its been in the 80's and 90's there! :)

you could probably benefit from a hoop house or a green house...just depends on how much you want to spend...and no lights required saving you bucks on electricity...your set up cost then sit back and watch your plants grow...

I sometimes put up a hoop house for seedlings in January, but it comes down after a couple of months and as you know, down here in North Texas, we don't have to worry about sunshine or heat unless it is too much of it...

Back