Is Socal growing season all year round?

Or is it certain varieties? I just received a couple habanero, wild brazil, and a few cayenne seeds and didn't know whether i should save them for spring or germinate them now.

I think it is yes. never done it myself since im new to growing but from what ive read i think it is, im gonna make a mini green house with pvc pipe in winter anyways.

where in socal are you...?

i do grow all year long... but i have most starts indoors... until they're big enough to handle the cold outside... then they will adapt for the winter, but they won't die outside... but if you have a mini green house (like i'm planning to get) they will fruit all year long... i have gotten huge chili trees from nurseries with fruit in winter...

but, i could be wrong depending on your area... i'm in LA county, north of orange county... just sayin'...

i live in San Diego very close to the ocean and with our mild temps i can grow year round, i started a 7 pot in a DWC hydro bucket in Sept and it grew and produced some pods all winter. so depending on where, you most certainly can.

Like everyone stated it is possible to grower all year round just as long as your plants are strong enough to handle the uncertain cold weather days. I tried this putting some small plants outside during december they were able to handle it, but they did deal with frost burn and delayed the growth process compared to keeping them inside until the end of January. This year I will grow year round with my bigger plants to see how they handle everything. Good luck with your season whether you start it today or later on.

I think you technically could and had pepper plants growing all year long, but because i'm close to the water I didn't really get much sun as it is when winters hits the plants don't do much of anything from Nov-Mar so I don't bother anymore. I just prune them back and over winter them for the next year. Seems like they come back a lot stronger and ready to produce more fruit that way.

im in westminster, ca. about 7miles inland from the ocean. we get some warm/hot days here, but its usually pretty mild. although in the winter we have some nights in the 40s every so often.

my nagas were producing til almost december when night temps were consistantly in the 50s. Anything that wasn't ripe basically shriveled up after that. Exception being the shishito, which kept going til first sub 40 night (early jan?), then it started dying back.

FWIW, it seems many here in So Cal are able to. I just started to germinate my seeds about 5 days ago. I'm going to try. Best of luck if you decide to, as well.

I am in san diego too, fairly close to the ocean (5 miles) and I have plants out in the ground (raised beds) that have overwintered in place. I have kept tomatoes and peppers and many other "annuals" alive for many years here. depending on where you live in so cal and distance from the ocean etc, there are many many micro climates. with a little protection you can grow almost anything.

I have a friend here who grows juicy fat mangoes as good as any I have had in hawaii or thailand where I used to live.

but it does get cold here. many inland areas get frost and while many times frost tender plants dont die, they dont like it and can sustain serious damage.

my peppers, with no protection from cold, usually just sit there during the winter and dont grow. but if we get a warm spell, they will leaf out and sometimes bloom.

with a little protection (even just being near a house) they can produce all year.

dont be afraid to try the impossible, everyone's experience is different.

and post pics

I am in san diego too, fairly close to the ocean (5 miles) and I have plants out in the ground (raised beds) that have overwintered in place. I have kept tomatoes and peppers and many other "annuals" alive for many years here. depending on where you live in so cal and distance from the ocean etc, there are many many micro climates. with a little protection you can grow almost anything.

I'm also in SoCal about 10 miles from the ocean and in the foothills. Our microclimate has had maybe 1 or 2 light frosts in 25 years. I've grown tomatoes year round, and numex peppers with lots of pods well into November/dec with no special treatment. Although it's still early in the season, thanks to this thread, I'm thinking of putting a row of peppers outside in pots along some south-facing windows in the full sun for both protection and reflected light to see if I can have good production for a much longer time.

Looking forward to doing it. :P

Where I am, OC, I can grow year round. When I grew habaneros once, thy didn't fare so well with the winter (though, I think it was mostly the slugs that got them), but all other pepper varieties I have run survive AND produce during winter.

It's not too late to plant.
Assuming your fall weather isn't frequently cold and foggy, the plants should keep producing well into October and November.  

And when the dead of winter arrives, just make sure the plants don't freeze.  
Peppers don't like lows in the 40's and colder.  They'll go somewhat dormant, but will perk right up next spring.

Overwintered plants have good chances of producing two harvests per year.  

Even if you cannot they are perennial plants so if I were you I would germinate now and just grow them as much as the warm weather permits and then pot them up for overwintering :) 

@OP - I live relatively close to you and I just germinated about 40 seeds without worry. AND I plan to keep the chosen ones for years on end (in the ground).

Back