• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pest Is Something Eating My Plant Leaves?

Hey THP!

I spotted this leaf earlier and I thought I'd ask for thoughts on whether or not it's a bug issue: -

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

This plant lives indoors and that's always been the case. There aren't tons of leaves like this all over the plant, in fact I can't find any others at the moment. But I do notice them periodically. I've had a good look all over the stems and leaves with a magnifying glass and I can't seem to see anything resembling a bug. Are there any bugs that would only come out at night for a nibble? Is this even bug damage at all, could it be something else?

Cheers for any help!

Bazza

Tinkerbelle099

Extreme Member
Hi Baz, well it's not a rip and there's an actual piece of leaf missing. So yes, something is chowing down on your chilli leaf.
No idea what is chomping on it indoors, does look like a slug or snail has had a go at it.

Hi Baz, well it's not a rip and there's an actual piece of leaf missing. So yes, something is chowing down on your chilli leaf.
No idea what is chomping on it indoors, does look like a slug or snail has had a go at it.
Hey Tinkerbelle! Thanks for looking. Like I say, I've had a really good hunt all over the plant with a magnifying glass and I can't see anything at all. I wonder if it's a house spider or something? Is there anything I could treat the plant with to deter pests?

Tinkerbelle099

Extreme Member
Have you checked all round and under the rim of the pot? How long has it been indoors?
You could always set a trap :D
Bugs are more likely to make holes in the leaves, whereas slugs/snails even possibly mice nibble around the edges.
I'm only going on my own experience and what I googled, the other guys on here are much more experienced on bugs than I am.

Have you checked all round and under the rim of the pot? How long has it been indoors?
You could always set a trap :D
Bugs are more likely to make holes in the leaves, whereas slugs/snails even possibly mice nibble around the edges.
I'm only going on my own experience and what I googled, the other guys on here are much more experienced on bugs than I am.
Hey Tinkerbelle! They've always lived inside. I've checked the rim and underneath the pots, nothing. Someone's recommended spraying them with isopropyl alchohol diluted with water at a ratio of three parts water, one part alcohol. Any thoughts on that?

Tinkerbelle099

Extreme Member
Hey Baz, sorry thought they were indoors when you said "house spider" :lol:
I don't spray my plants with anything, a nibble on a leaf is all part and parcel of keeping them outside to my thinking.

Are you on the FB chilli pepper group?

Last edited:
Hey Tinkerbelle! Yes, all my plants are indoors, always have been from germination! 🙂 I guess if I'm only getting nibbles here and there, it's not something to be overly concerned about, but the fact I can't see anything that would be doing it bugs me (excuse the pun).

I'm on a few pepper FB groups, yes. Is there one for THP or are you talking about something else?

Tinkerbelle099

Extreme Member
I'm on a few pepper FB groups, yes. Is there one for THP or are you talking about something else?

no not THP, hang on I'll go see what it's called "Chilli Peppers - growing indoor and outdoor - for beginners and experts" - they're very fighty on there :rofl:

Sorry I misread your post, thought peppers were outdoors. It is flipping annoying that something is chomping it indoors. You sure you're not sleepwalking and having a crafty nibble? :lol:

no not THP, hang on I'll go see what it's called "Chilli Peppers - growing indoor and outdoor - for beginners and experts" - they're very fighty on there :rofl:

Sorry I misread your post, thought peppers were outdoors. It is flipping annoying that something is chomping it indoors. You sure you're not sleepwalking and having a crafty nibble? :lol:
Ah that's a shame they're fighty! I don't claim to be an expert at growing peppers, but I have learned a lot over the last couple of years. If I can pass on a bit of knowledge to someone as passionate about peppers as me, happy days! 😁 If someone disagrees with me, I don't mind so long as they explain why. Happy to learn!

As for me nibbling on the leaves, I'd prefer to be nibbling on the peppers instead! Ha! 😄