• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is the Big Jim Ready to Pick?

The Numex Big Jim is a hybrid. Thus, there is no point at all in saving the seeds. Sorry :(

I would not let them ripen to red. They taste pretty good green, but are actually kind of bleh when fully ripe. Just my opinion, ymmv of course.

I actually think they test better ripe than not. I think they are my favorite tasting pepper once they turn red. But I would pick that one to make the plant grow better.

Big Jim is not a hybrid but as you mentioned, your plant could have been crossed or hybridized since it wasn't isolated, but chances would still probably be in favor of pureness
As for saving known crossed seeds, you better be prepared to grow out a lot of plants for a lot of years if you're trying to stabilize the variety, and be prepared after the f1 generation to have all very different plants for many years. Experimenting is always fun but its just so much easier starting with seeds known to be true or known f1's

bigt makes a great point about picking that chile now if you are more interested in the future crop that plant will bring. When I go to the chile fields in Hatch, I always go late season because those chiles are bigger, tastier, and hotter than the first crop picked.

Big Jim is not a hybrid but as you mentioned, your plant could have been crossed or hybridized since it wasn't isolated, but chances would still probably be in favor of pureness
As for saving known crossed seeds, you better be prepared to grow out a lot of plants for a lot of years if you're trying to stabilize the variety, and be prepared after the f1 generation to have all very different plants for many years. Experimenting is always fun but its just so much easier starting with seeds known to be true or known f1's

i believe it's about 9 generations worth of isolation before you can get a relatively stable hybrid cultivar.

What are the odds it will remain pure the next year? I know of several old timers that probably haven't bought seeds of any kind except silver queen corn for years. Just save a couple of the late season "fruit" and dry them and wa-la....next years seeds.

Back