Is there a Fert for the end of the season?

Hello all you Hot Pepper fans.

Is there a special fertilizer that I should use during the last month to month and a half of my growing season?  I have the plants coming along ok.  Due to a late start with some they are now just starting to put out the pods.  I plan on covering the nicest plants with big garbage bags when the first frosts visit so that I can make it to early November so as to get enough supply until next July.

I'm thinking of hitting them up with Miracle Grow Tomato formula at the recommended mixing instructions.

Should that be good?

Thanks again

Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for chorophyll (when your plants are turning yellow.)  And calcium nitrate if your peppers are starting to exhibit blossum end rot due to Ca defficiency.  those are some specific late season ferts... other than that just continue to feed your normal ferts.  (possibly even using stonger doses corresponding to the size of the plant.)

The salt in your tears will inhibit new growth, allowing the plant to focus its energy on ripening those pods.

That's why as winter closes in I like to sit with my plants and sob uncontrollably for hours at a time as I cradle my tiny, green pods.

Disclaimer:  Do not take anything I say as advice, ever, regarding gardening, life, or proper urination techniques, before consulting a professional.

Noah Yates said:
Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for chorophyll (when your plants are turning yellow.)  And calcium nitrate if your peppers are starting to exhibit blossum end rot due to Ca defficiency.  those are some specific late season ferts... other than that just continue to feed your normal ferts.  (possibly even using stonger doses corresponding to the size of the plant.)
Thank you very much!! so about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water?  I am getting yellowing leaves & I am getting that damn blossom end rot.  It's really bumming me out.  I'll be helping these plants tonight.
Wulf said:
The salt in your tears will inhibit new growth, allowing the plant to focus its energy on ripening those pods.

That's why as winter closes in I like to sit with my plants and sob uncontrollably for hours at a time as I cradle my tiny, green pods.

Disclaimer:  Do not take anything I say as advice, ever, regarding gardening, life, or proper urination techniques, before consulting a professional.
I agree with you totally :mad: that winter will be here soon enough.  But fall is when the poor plants die off

Jabski said:
Thank you very much!! so about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water?  I am getting yellowing leaves & I am getting that damn blossom end rot.  It's really bumming me out.  I'll be helping these plants tonight.

I agree with you totally :mad: that winter will be here soon enough.  But fall is when the poor plants die off

Not sure which you're asking about, but epsom is 1/2 - 1 tsp per gallon. No idear aboot MG or Calcium Nitrate.

Calcium and magnesium should be a constant thing when fertilizing. Even if the plants are not showing signs of deficiency, I have found in my hydroponic production that with the same level of fertilizer, and a greater amount of calcium and magnesium, that my peppers grow faster, and a larger number of them turn out hotter/more fragrant than with less. Bone meal is a great way to supplement. I usually use general organics calmag though - as I prefer liquid solutions because they are easier to implement without disturbing the plants. Not to mention the results are about as immediate as you can get.

My contribution to this is the presence of Manganese in your feeding regiment. 

It specifically aids the plant in root function which is essential in the cooler weather, especially if you're gearing up to overwinter anything.

Of course, if you mixed your own healthy organic soil you won't have a BER or manganese problem...but it's something to think about.

Have anyone here try to mix epson Salt and plain milk and unsulfur Black strap Molases to feed the plants, instead of using calmag?

Noah Yates said:
Really PMD?  Im surprised you dont know about the benefits of epsom salts.
http://www.garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=68&page=3
http://www.harvesttotable.com/2012/08/epsom-salt-tomato-and-pepper-growing/
the links go on and on... you should just type into google "epsom salts and peppers."
Yellowimg leaves are a normal part of a plant ending its life cycle. That was my point. If you want to try and slow it down give them a kelp/alfalfa tea soil drench every 2-3 weeks.

Whatever you found helpful throughout the pod growing season is what you should continue using.  Perhaps you would have benefited from Cal/Mag, or perhaps you had enough of those nutrients, but end of season isn't a time when more is needed than any other time in the grow.

Peppers are perenials man.... in other words, they will continue to grow into trees given the right conditions.  Any signs of yellowing are not part of the pepper* plants natural "ending of its life-cycle," but rather represent environmentally induced stress or defficiency (responsibility of the grower).  I think you are confusing perennials (peppers) with annuals (canna).

Noah Yates said:
Peppers are perenials man.... in other words, they will continue to grow into trees given the right conditions.  Any signs of yellowing are not part of the pepper* plants natural "ending of its life-cycle," but rather represent environmentally induced stress or defficiency (responsibility of the grower).  I think you are confusing perennials (peppers) with annuals (canna).
I think you are correct Noah and I had a few beers before posting last night so my apologies. None of my peppers have yellowing anywhere so I guess they are healthy.
Roguejim said:
Why are the folks who work at the hydro store, "idiots"?  Your own efforts this season have proven to be wanting, no?
Because most are. Notice I said "most" as some know what they are talking about but it's a very small percentage.
Study soil science and then go ask them a few questions to see what I mean. They are like the people on the phone for computer problems reading from a book.
My peppers are not too bad considering the most bizarre summer weather I can remember in my almost 53 years in this city.
I posted pictures on my glog that I took a few minutes ago.

Jabski said:
for BER use calcium nitrate.

regarding magnesium sulfate, technical grade, meaning USP store bought:
1gram / 1 gallon yields approx: 26, 24 mg/l magnesium and sulphate respectively.

regarding calcium nitrate, "fertilizer grade" meaning hydrated, and not 100% purity:
1 gram / 1 gallon yields approx: 30 and 43 mg/l nitrate and calcium respectively.

i would shoot for atleast 100mg/l nitrate in a generic soil grow. but you must take into consideration any organic material already present, as this will yield ammoniacal nitrogen.
Noah Yates said:
i agree with the above, with the only exception being the leaves buried under a thick impenetrable canopy...
these most often yellow and die on an otherwise very healthy plant in my experiance.
i wonder how many folks start sweating after the aforementioned happens?

I am glad others pointed out that you want to stay ahead of defficiencies.  The way I phrased the use of those late season ferts did not give that explanation.  Also... it is worth noting that one should have a soil analysis performed to determine whether it is the calcium or magnesium that is out of balance and requiring adjustment.  Otherwise one could potentially do more harm than good.  However, I have not had a soil test performed, I just happen to know that the soil in our geographic location is acidic and the water is hard (calcium abundance) (both caused by the mass presence of limestone).  Therefore, I do not require as much Ca supplementation (as long as my humate levels are sufficiently high) as much as I do supplemntation of Mg.  Indeed I have never used calcium nitrate myself, I have only read that it is one of the best resources for supplementing Ca if one neds it.

queequeg152 said:
... the only exception being the leaves buried under a thick impenetrable canopy...
these most often yellow and die on an otherwise very healthy plant in my experiance.

That is true. 

regarding soil tests,

if you are lucky enough to live in a state with big ag department universities, usually you can have an instate test done for like... 45 - 75 dollars. if you are out of state, i believe they charge far more.

google university soil test etc, you will find what im talking about.

this is a real test, they will mail you a kit, you will mail back leaf tissue, or soil samples.

its pretty cool if you ask me.

edit:
also if i recall correctly, members of the farm bureau get discounts on such things.

Noah Yates said:
I am glad others pointed out that you want to stay ahead of defficiencies.  The way I phrased the use of those late season ferts did not give that explanation.  Also... it is worth noting that one should have a soil analysis performed to determine whether it is the calcium or magnesium that is out of balance and requiring adjustment.  Otherwise one could potentially do more harm than good.  However, I have not had a soil test performed, I just happen to know that the soil in our geographic location is acidic and the water is hard (calcium abundance) (both caused by the mass presence of limestone).  Therefore, I do not require as much Ca supplementation (as long as my humate levels are sufficiently high) as much as I do supplemntation of Mg.  Indeed I have never used calcium nitrate myself, I have only read that it is one of the best resources for supplementing Ca if one neds it.

That is true. 
Are you growing in the ground Noah? I only grow in containers so what I put in the soil should take care of anything the plant needs.

Back