Is there any cure for damping off?

My bulgarian carrot seedling is finally doing well after a long while but i just found out this afternoon that the stem at the surface of the soil is shrinking and turning yellow. i immediately realised that its damping off disease. (unless someone more knowledgeable can tell me otherwise)
I was wondering if there is a cure for it because its one of the seedlings that i had hoped would actually grow and bear me some fruits. Looks like my dreams are going to be shattered. :tear:  

In an attempt to support the plant from falling over, i added more soil to the cup to cover more of the stem. I also sprayed some seaweed extract on it, in the hopes that it will help the plant recover.

One of my sweet basil seedlings also has its stem turning black. I am almost frantic to find a cure for this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Have read that Thiram (Arasan) can help control the problem some but have not tried it. Best is a good sterile medium with good drainage.

Agree with millworkman - ideally prevent it. If you have a plant that is slightly impacted by it, repot it with fresh soil and bury it so the impacted part at the soil line is buried. It might or might not pull through, hard to say. Also, mist the surface of the soil with hydrogen peroxide or a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water, to help kill the fungus. 

Post pics of the basil, please.

+1 with geeme.

I had a datil plant go through this earlier this year. I did pretty much what geeme suggested and kept it dry after that. It took a while to start to grow again but it eventually did and is now a healthy plant. Smaller than the rest at this point but healthy.

moosery said:
isnt it slightly contagious too? If so, better to remove than try to cure...
If by "contagious" you mean that newb growers tend to overwater all their plants instead of just one, sure….  ;)

Fungus is spread by spores, but those spores have to find the right conditions on the surface they land on or they die. If they land on damp to wet soil, they grow; this is why bottom-watering is recommended for plants started in pots/cups indoors. Also, a fan helps dry out the surface of the soil, so even if bottom-watering is problematic, using a fan can help prevent the fungus from taking hold. 

Sow more seeds... seriously, i've tried recovering some seedlings from damping off but is not worth the effort imho.
Even if they survive the outcome will mostly be weak plants.

Cya

Datil

geeme said:
Agree with millworkman - ideally prevent it. If you have a plant that is slightly impacted by it, repot it with fresh soil and bury it so the impacted part at the soil line is buried. It might or might not pull through, hard to say. Also, mist the surface of the soil with hydrogen peroxide or a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water, to help kill the fungus. 

Post pics of the basil, please.

MiChris said:
+1 with geeme.

I had a datil plant go through this earlier this year. I did pretty much what geeme suggested and kept it dry after that. It took a while to start to grow again but it eventually did and is now a healthy plant. Smaller than the rest at this point but healthy.

Alright I have buried it but i have not repotted it due to the fact that i am on night shift these few days. will try to repot it when i get back if i dont crash upon reaching home.

THANKS GUYS!

Saved a bunch of seedlings with H2O2.
Straight out of the bottle 3% solution found in almost every store.

Didn't find the problem till most were really bad, so it was a "sink or swim" last ditch effort.

Soaked the snot out of them, down to the root zone.

80% survival.

Back