• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is there such a thing as giant pumpkin seeds?

This year was first year growing pumpkins. I did fail because of some mistakes I made... I started looking for answers on google and I saw some pics of crazy giant pumpkins.And I wondered if this was a particular type of seeds or just a plain regular pumpkin witch growth season has been extended.
Any ideas?

Atlantic Giant.

To get them huge though, proper care must be given (soil, nutes, timing, etc).

Apparently they are not all that in the taste department though.

I knew a guy who was into growing giant pumpkins.
they use seeds from other giant pumpkins...

If you think super hot seeds are expensive,try buying seeds from a record weight pumpkin.

A lot of seed companies sell seeds that can grow giant pumpkins.

I think the record is/was over 1800lbs.
Saw a contest on TV...

Here ya go:

http://parkseed.com/...CFWjhQgodPmoAhA

I think in general,there are varieties of pumpkins that grow big but these guys usually have been selectively breeding them to get even bigger.

http://www.howarddill.com/

http://www.howarddill.com/2011-2012/heavyweights.pdf

$100. a pack....for seeds from a 1818lb. pumpkin-SOLD OUT.
Worse than buying super hot seeds.

Don't bother with the atlantic giants, you're better off looking for pumpkin seeds online that have proven genetics for giant pumpkins. I always found the Dill's Atlantic giants to be very dissapointing and I was fortunate enough to get some good seeds for free from a giant vegetable forum

I may be able to send you some seeds but this year's pumpkin is likely only a few hundred pounds or maybe even less. Big but not huge

AS Potawie said don't bother buying the Seeds from a retailer those are all open pollinated and are grown specifically for seed. If you want good genetic seeds that will have the traits you are wanting (ie. are you going to grow just for size - or do you want a good shape or specific color - etc.) Have a look at the Big Pumpkins website ( www.bigpumpkins.com ) and go to the Seed exchange section and you will find many offers for seeds for the price of a SASBE (just like this site they are more than willing to share and provide help in growing) and many of the best growers are on that site including several world record holders from years past. So the site is full of information.

I currently have one that is approaching 200 lbs. ( according to the estimation chart is currently at 180 lbs) The seed is from one of the members of the site mentioned that was 851 lbs - nowhere near the world record of 1818.5 lbs.- with the weather here growing them to giant size is a challenge but they still get into the 200 - 500 lb. range. If you want some seeds I can send you some after halloween as I'll be carving this one for our display. (also have some from my 320 lber from 2 years ago) - If interested just send me a PM and once the seeds are dried I'll send you several for use to practice on and grow next season.

Here is a pic of it from about a week ago when it was around 160 lbs. (it has since put on another 20 pounds) - It is more of a cream color when it ripen
GiantPumpkin.jpg

If you are looking for a more traditional orange color visiting the big pumpkins site would be my suggestion (wait until later in October and there will be many offers for free seeds from this years results since all of the weigh offs will be concluded and the pumpkin seeds will be dried and ready to ship.

Alright . Thanks guys. I think I will give it a try if I find any seeds. Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it.

Got the PM and sent a reply -- once the seeds are ready (around the beginning of November) I'll send you several (still have over a hundred from the 320 lber from 2 years ago also so I'll send some of them as well) Just be forewarned once you grow them they are addicting !

I wanted to do this also, but not sure much about them and if you can grow them in florida. But i found this a little ways back and been thinking of purchasing it one day.

http://xtreme-garden...umpkin-Kit.html

They should do fine there ( If they can take the heat here in Southwest TX) - they prefer cooler weather but will still do OK in warmer places just will not get quite as big as in the best areas -- If you would like some seeds as well just let me know and I'll send you several also come November.

Got the PM and sent a reply -- once the seeds are ready (around the beginning of November) I'll send you several (still have over a hundred from the 320 lber from 2 years ago also so I'll send some of them as well) Just be forewarned once you grow them they are addicting !

They should do fine there ( If they can take the heat here in Southwest TX) - they prefer cooler weather but will still do OK in warmer places just will not get quite as big as in the best areas -- If you would like some seeds as well just let me know and I'll send you several also come November.

That would be awsome, I would like to try to grow them, dont know much about them but think it could be fun a time. Will have to do do some research and figure when to start them in here.

That would be awsome, I would like to try to grow them, dont know much about them but think it could be fun a time. Will have to do do some research and figure when to start them in here.

They are fun but do also take some work -- Have a read through some of th ethreads on Bigpumpkins.com and it will give you a lot of useful info on growing them. If you want to send me a PM with your address I'll save it and once the seeds are ready will get them in the mail to you (I'll send some extras so you can practice germination and also so you can plant a few backups in case anything happens (better to have extras if something does go wrong !)

Back