• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Is this a Ghost or Hab?

Got a pepper in a can a while ago, had one pepper develope and has just started changing color the last couple days, went from green to this...

Looks to rough to be a hab.. I'd go with Ghost at this pesent time until proven otherwise..

On second look though that calyx on the top pic looks more Habbish...   Bah, might have to wait and see

This looks like the variety that Bonnie Plants was selling a couple years ago advertised as a blend between a bonnet and a habanero.   It had the lantern quality and the dimpled skin shown here. 

However, sometimes plants just throw out weird pods when they are really trying to produce fruit.    I've had scotch bonnet plants put out bumpy wrinkly pods.   

It might be a cross.  It is better to judge the entirety of the plant vs a single pod.  

smileyguy697 said:
Eat one and you'll know lol
Was definitely a Ghost, was yummy, only bad thing was the stomach ache later due to eating it on an empty stomach. I only ate maybe 1/4 of it and it was very very very hot.

Gave my kid a small piece too, then pulled the seeds, put the rest in with some sweet peppers onions and scrambled eggs....

Glad it wasnt Hab, dont like Hab flavor.

Hab flavour is ok IMO but far from amazing and sucks if too prominent in a cooked dish. It's too abrasive in something like a strong sauce and the similar but more extreme (in heat and flavour) Scorpion should (again entirely IMO) be reserved for sweet sauces and/or being a secondary ingredient for heat. I know people like both Habs and Scorpions for both heat and taste and I can't really understand the latter but I'll still respect someone who takes Scorpion over Reaper for flavour for the simple reason that it shows they actually care about the peppers, not just the capsaicin content. For that reason alone, I like to give people the choice.

As for Ghosts, well, they're an interesting little beastie. You can definitely taste the fact that they're part Frutescens but they still retain something of the kind of flavour you'd expect from a Chinense. Less sharp than the Scorpion or even the Hab and generally less acidic. They almost resemble the Scotch Bonnet in some ways but only almost and some dried ones I've had have had a sad bitter aftertaste to them.
What's most amazing though is how different growers and chefs can bring out completely different sides of the pepper. I've had Ghost sauces that tasted similar to Scorpion, Ghost sauces that had only a fairly standard (but pleasant) chilli flavour to them and Ghost sauces that were more lemon flavoured than any Lemon Drop or Aji sauce with nothing but pepper, vinegar and spices.
They're versatile, highly varied and almost always a great addition. I can honestly say I love the Ghost.

I don't love the flavour of the Ghost as much as I do the Reaper, mind you, but the Reaper was clearly bred with taste about as far from the grower's mind as possible.
Its heat is too strong to go with most things in large quantities and its flavour is too gentle to be at all prominent in low ones. And unless its balanced out with sugar, the heat that it has comes in so sour that you just can't taste anything else.
I had a 66% Reaper sauce and its flavour was absolutely divine but also gone in under a second when the sour hit home. Would not reccomend.

So, if I were you, I'd be well glad you got a Ghost as its (IMO) by far the most easily enjoyable of all the mainstream supers. Except maybe the Viper or the press BS that was the Komodo, I've never tried them.

EDIT: Oh, right, Bedfordshire Naga. Didn't bother mentioning that because it's practically Ghost anyway.

I wish I could get more peppers to come in, I have one more starting but one pepper at a time doesnt cut it. Hopefully since I transplanted the plants will begin to develop more fruit, they flower  like crazy but have severe flower drop. Since I just transplanted I am hoping the issue was due to watering and nutrients not getting held in the soil since water would run right through the soil and out of the bottom drains. I need to get more soil, a timer then transplant my other 3 plants and then I can set up my drip irrigation and give them a more scheduled watering. After I get that taken care of I am turning my grow tent into a nursery for germination and seedlings.

I have one not dissimilar to that.  Sold as a ghost (only one I bought, everything else was from seed).  This will most likely be a ghost hab cross, hotter than a hab but not as hot as a ghost.  Some pics to help. 

Ghost - hab dominant, ghost true, and hab.  

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160331_210338201_iOS.jpg
    20160331_210338201_iOS.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160331_210040688_iOS.jpg
    20160331_210040688_iOS.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 59
Bumper said:
I have one not dissimilar to that.  Sold as a ghost (only one I bought, everything else was from seed).  This will most likely be a ghost hab cross, hotter than a hab but not as hot as a ghost.  Some pics to help. 

Ghost - hab dominant, ghost true, and hab.  

I have one more pepper coming so we will see how it turns out...

Judging by their heat, they are not bonnets, I ate an Orange Hab the other day and it was hot but there is no possible way I could eat a whole one of these. I ate a third of one from the first couple I harvested earlier and it literally took my breath away.

Back