• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this a Red Scotch Bonnet?

This is a pod that came of what is supposed to be a red scotch bonnet plant.
I know the pod is not red because I accidentally knocked it off the plant looking at it, but they do turn red.
Seeds are from the same source I got the chocolate habs and Bhut Jolokia.
I alos tasted a piece of it and its very hot. At least as hot as my yellow bonnets or more, had my lips numb.

P1000106.jpg

Hey Brent
It could be. There are so many types of red scotch bonnets in the carribean and other places from what iv'e seen. Jamaican, Costa rican, grenadean, safi. Lots of pod variations too. When you google red scotch bonnets so many different looking peppers show up.

madhatter pretty much stated the fact of No Standards ...... I feel a Scotch Bonnet should look like a Tam or a sailors cap from Scotland. It should be hot with a fruity aroma and flavor. IMHO ...... only

Kind of like this

ScotchBonnetb.jpg

Youre's look like so many other Habanero type of peppers it's hard to even guess from cyberspace ....

Peace & enjoy it no matter what it is .....
P. Dreadie

Unfortunately there aren't too many red Scotch bonnets with a consistant tam shape, at least I haven't found any yet:( Even in Jamaica appaerently not all SB pods have the "proper" shape but those that are get graded highest.

yeah i agree. Never really seen one myself. Not like the yellow one P. Dreadie posted.
Nice pic by the way P. Dreadie:)

I noticed only a low percentage of my yellow bonnet pods come out the traditional shape like this:

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

I havent seen any this shape since last year.

I was only curious about the red one because I'm really hoping i wasnt taken for a ride with my Bhut seeds.

FadeToBlack said:
I noticed only a low percentage of my yellow bonnet pods come out the traditional shape like this:

I havent seen any this shape since last year.

I was only curious about the red one because I'm really hoping i wasnt taken for a ride with my Bhut seeds.

AAAAHHHH. Nice brent!!! i love that type. I'm growing three plants this year. Just love the shape of them and the taste and heat.
Dude your really worried about those bhuts eh?
I know how you feel bro. You spend so much time growing something you really want and it doesnt turn out to grow true. I know i get pissed. I pray for you.

Hey Yann, thanks buddy

I will keep my fingers crossed. Did you plant any of the bonnets I sent you?
Those pics are of that same type of pepper from last year.

FadeToBlack said:
Hey Yann, thanks buddy

I will keep my fingers crossed. Did you plant any of the bonnets I sent you?
Those pics are of that same type of pepper from last year.

yeah bro got two in the grow op in the basement. Cant wait!!. They have two sets of true leaves.

POTAWIE ....... nice thread Bro !! Scotch Bonnets are my favorites . I've wanted some TFM seeds but the lady that was selling them no longer lists them. I get a gift from a kind member here of two seeds but to late for this season. There is a vendor in Spain that lists them but I have no clue as to their breeding programs and if I'd get "true" seeds or yet another cross. So I've held off on trying them.

I hope to come up with some stable Bonnets in time. Another great member here gave me some seed he calls "Select" Scotch Bonnets. Seeds from pods that had the look , aroma , taste , etc. I have some of those going this year. The pepper in the picture came from a CCN plant. I picked that pod from the best looking and growing plant. That was the BEST looking pod. Others looked good ... but that was the best. I saved seed from that and have plants going this year. I'm hoping ......

Thanks to everyone that thought it look good ,

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Love the SB. I've got a few on the go right now, but I'm not sure if they are the 'true' SB either. I'm just going to have to wait and see how they turn out in the next few months.

Back