• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Is this anything to be concerned about, seedling?

These are the peppers I've been growing, found a few with these white looking bumps around the veins on top & below leave. They don't rub off, it's not bugs, it's almost like vessicles stored along veins area.

Would this be edema? aka over watering? I do bottom water and let them dry out, especially the taller scotch bonn. 

Attachments

• 26848.jpg
    26848.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 26849.jpg
    26849.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 26850.jpg
    26850.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 26851.jpg
    26851.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 26852.jpg
    26852.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 26855.jpg
    26855.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 70
It looks like it to me. Edema leaves a sandy-looking deposit on the underside of the leaves when the plant sap exuded there evaporates.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Agreed with Stickman, though you (darkchile) say "AKA over watering" and edema or intumescences doesn't necessarily mean that you're over watering. Air circulation, heat of the root zone relative to the foliage, excessive humidity, and other factors can cause or contribute and some plants and varieties are more prone to it than are others.  It's not uncommon that you can't eliminate it completely indoors, even when you're doing everything right.  Within reasonable levels it's not really doing much negative to the plant, though it's an indicator that in some instances, not all instances, your environment could be improved.

Seems to be the red scotch bonnet plants and red savina that are impacted right now. I know the area is lower humidity, 25-30% typically, same room as a pellet stove. Air circulation is pretty good, but variable depending on the heat level that day.  

Always a pleasure on this board, learning and being fed useful knowledge each time I check here. Glad I made the jump over here recently. Thank you.

Depending on the mix you are using for seed starts and how much it retains moisture, you may want to try using less water for your next pass of bottom watering.  When I first began bottom watering I thought I needed to see the top of the soil looking nice and moist almost instantly after I watered - I always wanted that immediate reassurance they were getting enough water.  After a while I realized my soil was soaking it up like a sponge and was getting too wet.  Now I try a little more restraint and only add enough so that I know the soil has absorbed some water then wait a while to see if it eventually wicks to the top of the soil to make it look slightly moist.  If it never looks moist at the top, I'll try adding a little more the next time I water.  Again, depending on your growing medium this may not be what is impacting your plants, but it certainly helped me keep my seedlings happier.

Good advice here, DC.  My indoor plants usually
get edema by the time they have spent 3 months
inside. It usually clears up once they go outside.

Back