• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this pepper rootbound?

The first picture shows the roots sticking out of the stem. Is it rootbound? It is not going into my garden until May 25th. Should I transplant it into something larger now, or will it be ok?

This superchile (F3 open pollinated) is dying to reporduce as I have pulled a lot of buds off.

99e08fa4.jpg

04ee5da1.jpg

Get that thing into a larger pot as soon as you can and ease up on the watering :-)..Those roots are screaming for more soil!

Definitely not rootbound yet and those roots are only showing because the moisture level is quite high. Which could mean you might be watering too much. But other than that it looks really healthy.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm beginning to see the problems with potting soil. I had not problems germinating, (20 for 20) but the soil is so hard, I have to soak it too much to get the the bottom.

Those pots should have a decent size hole in the bottom... have you tried watering from the bottom up? get a small container that the pot will fit in, put your liquids in there, and then put the terra cotta pot in it... let it soak up what it needs for a bit, then remove...

I think even the terra cotta will transfer water, as long as it's not glazed...

I have never tried bottom watering. I know if will work with my clay pots, as when I overwater and leave the a pool of water in the catch tray underneath, it does disappear much faster than evaporation would cause.

Back