• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this the dreaded bacterial leaf spot?

Iv'e been growing this Apocalypse Red plant in my hydroponics farm using DWC and 3 part general hydroponics nute system. Nute solution stays around 65 degrees and room temp is about 73 degrees. My tap water has a ppm of 30 and I give it a balanced nute regimen to bring the total ppm up to ~350 because it is still small. I started noticing these spots on some leaves a couple weeks ago. I am worried It is bacterial leaf spot. But if it isn't, I have no idea what it is. It is growing well and has a large healthy looking root mass. New growth doesn't seem affected yet. I also don't see any critters on the plant or in the reservoir. What do you guys think? If it is bacterial leaf spot, are my other plants in danger of contamination?

Attachments

• IMG_2198.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 94
stickyfingers111 said:
Thats what I'm hoping. What ppm level should a pepper plant of this size should I run at? I'm using a 1/1/1 ratio of micro/bloom/grow.

EC of 1.2.  That's on the low end, and that's where I'd keep it, unless plant says otherwise.  No point in wasting nutrients on trying to make a plant grow bigger/better/faster.   It won't.  And even if it did, it won't do so well enough to make it worth the hassle or expense.
Also - I'm super not a fan of GH nutes.  Not their product, and not their system.  It seems like even when their suggestions are followed to a "T", there's still something wrong.  Hard to say exactly what that is, but I have, on several occasions, actually seen a similar problem to that, cleared up instantly by switching to a different brand.
Do a Google search for GH nutrient deficiency issues, and see if you can find something similar.  I know that I'm not the only one whose ever had the problem.  I have several 15 year old bottles of GH nutrient that are still in my closet, from when I shelved them, and never looked back.

I wish I could tell you off the top of my head, I used to just use GH nutes then switched to a hydro store blend that worked for top drip or DWC. That was like nine years ago though. There are tons of current hydro growers here now. That said, once flowering starts, I know I used less grow. I’d lighten up a bit on the nutes for a cycle or two, but that is only my rusty guess.

solid7 said:

EC of 1.2.  That's on the low end, and that's where I'd keep it, unless plant says otherwise.  No point in wasting nutrients on trying to make a plant grow bigger/better/faster.   It won't.  And even if it did, it won't do so well enough to make it worth the hassle or expense.
Also - I'm super not a fan of GH nutes.  Not their product, and not their system.  It seems like even when their suggestions are followed to a "T", there's still something wrong.  Hard to say exactly what that is, but I have, on several occasions, actually seen a similar problem to that, cleared up instantly by switching to a different brand.
Do a Google search for GH nutrient deficiency issues, and see if you can find something similar.  I know that I'm not the only one whose ever had the problem.  I have several 15 year old bottles of GH nutrient that are still in my closet, from when I shelved them, and never looked back.
Dang! 1.2 seems awful high for a small plant like this...although there is something obviously wrong so I'll give her a whirl. I'm just glad it isn't bacterial leaf spot.  :surprised:

As for the GH, I have one plant that is doing fantastic and getting huge! But my others arent quite right. I got one that's dropping leaves like crazy. So maybe I do need to switch. What brand of nutes do you use? Also, do you run calmag as well and add H2O2?

Small?! Hell that plant aint small! It looks like a 5gal bucket so it is probably 16 or so plant.

1.2 on a 500 scale would be about 600 ppm so its not really all r tree hat high: at least in my opinion its not. On a 700 scale it would be up there.

Even though I am not an experienced hydroponics grower, I can tell fro the photos that is definitely Nute issue. Dark leaves, curling down, frayed and necrotic edges, necrotic spots.

It doesnt look bacterial to me.

Plants should respond quickly though so there is no harm in backing off nutes. Personally I wouldnt switch Nute mid grow but I would make a switch if you have the opportunity to clean house. Either that or your lighting is not adequate. Looks pretty dim on the photos. Grab a lux meter on amazon for 13 bucks and convert to PPFD. I have seedlings setting right at 400 ppfd and my cell photos are way brighter. Nutes and photosynthesis have to balance. Feeding a higher concentration to a plant on low end of PAR would create over abundance I presume. At this point nutes are the cheapest and fastest thing to change

Only GH I use is ph up and down

stickyfingers111 said:
Dang! 1.2 seems awful high for a small plant like this...although there is something obviously wrong so I'll give her a whirl. I'm just glad it isn't bacterial leaf spot.  :surprised:

As for the GH, I have one plant that is doing fantastic and getting huge! But my others arent quite right. I got one that's dropping leaves like crazy. So maybe I do need to switch. What brand of nutes do you use? Also, do you run calmag as well and add H2O2?

I wouldn't call that a small plant.  It's got enough sets of leaves to bear fruit.  And I personally use that range for all of my plants, all of the time, once they're past seedlings. 
Anybody on this forum who knows me, knows that I'm a hardcore advocate of CNS17 Grow, and ONLY the Grow formula.  I don't believe in "bloom" formulas for peppers, because they don't cycle.  They bloom constantly after maturity, provided they have favorable environmental conditions.  And between what's in the Grow formulation, and what it unlocks from the coco, there just isn't any need to add anything else.  The GH stuff is garbage.  It's like comparing Kool-Aid and vodka to a Sonoma Valley Cabernet.  Will it grow plants?  Yep. Is it sketchy, and have there been issues known to growers for a long time?  Yep.

If you use GH, you'll need CalMag.  If you use CNS17, you'll never need CalMag.  H2O2?  Nope, never. 

GetLost said:
Small?! Hell that plant aint small! It looks like a 5gal bucket so it is probably 16 or so plant.

1.2 on a 500 scale would be about 600 ppm so its not really all r tree hat high: at least in my opinion its not. On a 700 scale it would be up there.

Even though I am not an experienced hydroponics grower, I can tell fro the photos that is definitely Nute issue. Dark leaves, curling down, frayed and necrotic edges, necrotic spots.

It doesnt look bacterial to me.

Plants should respond quickly though so there is no harm in backing off nutes. Personally I wouldnt switch Nute mid grow but I would make a switch if you have the opportunity to clean house. Either that or your lighting is not adequate. Looks pretty dim on the photos. Grab a lux meter on amazon for 13 bucks and convert to PPFD. I have seedlings setting right at 400 ppfd and my cell photos are way brighter. Nutes and photosynthesis have to balance. Feeding a higher concentration to a plant on low end of PAR would create over abundance I presume. At this point nutes are the cheapest and fastest thing to change

Only GH I use is ph up and down

It's small compared to my other monster thats drinking a quart of solution a day. That thing is so big I can't get my arms halfway around it! But I'll up the nutes and see how it responds. As for the lighting, the pictures I took weren't in my grow room. I took them out of their grow buckets and brought them into the bathroom where I had regular lighting so you guys could see the true colors of the leaves instead of seeing it in the pink lighting of the grow lights.

solid7 said:

I wouldn't call that a small plant.  It's got enough sets of leaves to bear fruit.  And I personally use that range for all of my plants, all of the time, once they're past seedlings. 
Anybody on this forum who knows me, knows that I'm a hardcore advocate of CNS17 Grow, and ONLY the Grow formula.  I don't believe in "bloom" formulas for peppers, because they don't cycle.  They bloom constantly after maturity, provided they have favorable environmental conditions.  And between what's in the Grow formulation, and what it unlocks from the coco, there just isn't any need to add anything else.  The GH stuff is garbage.  It's like comparing Kool-Aid and vodka to a Sonoma Valley Cabernet.  Will it grow plants?  Yep. Is it sketchy, and have there been issues known to growers for a long time?  Yep.

If you use GH, you'll need CalMag.  If you use CNS17, you'll never need CalMag.  H2O2?  Nope, never. 

CNS17 Grow ordered and is on the way! Since I'm not using coco, will there be something I'm missing?

If your plants are eating that much hydro solution, you may want to seriously think about switching them to a solid media.  Those are gonna start being really expensive peppers, if you don't do something about that. Just a thought...

solid7 said:
If your plants are eating that much hydro solution, you may want to seriously think about switching them to a solid media.  Those are gonna start being really expensive peppers, if you don't do something about that. Just a thought...

Yeah... It's one plant that has gotten just huge. But it must have a hundred peppers on it right now, so I'm having fun. It takes me a half hour every other day just to rub the flowers with a Q-Tip to pollinate them. And a lot of the flowers are inside the plant so I can't get at them without doing damage. It's getting pretty heavy which makes changing out ice packs difficult. I'm starting to get worried about the net pot/lid cracking in half when I lift the plant up to add nutes/water/ph/ice. That would be game over.

Back